Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much oil should be in the stator housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much oil should be in the stator housing?

Hi, I have a 1980 GS550e which is I'm in the process of stripping. I had a constant leak from the stator housing which I now hope is simply a knackered gasket. To be honest I thought the stator was supposed to be dry to begin with and I thought it was broken crankshaft oil seal, so I'm happier now that I know that it is supposed to have some oil in it!!

My worry however is that with the cover off if I pour oil into the engine it pours out the other side at the same rate, I've looked at similar threads and they state that only a small amount of oil should be in the housing? Your observations would be appreciated!!

The bike was an American import to the UK (which is where I am) it's done 50,000 miles. My intention is to 'brat' the bike and learn as much as I can whilst doing it. The engine is coming out of the frame today before its cleaned, dismantled and put back together. (which will take a while.....) I know the basics but most of my knowledge has come from Youtube so please be patient with me, I'll have plenty of dumb questions to follow........................

Drain the oil before removing the stator housing. I suspect that one of the reasons for stator failure is that the bike has been driven with low oil for extended periods of time. While you are in there you can check stator coils for discoloration. If you have the JIS bolts you might want to swap them for stainless Allan headed bolts. I make a cardboard template of the housing, stick a screwdriver through where the bolts go, insert the bolts into the holes. They will be of different lengths, and this will avoid confusion on re-assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve0 View Post
      My worry however is that with the cover off if I pour oil into the engine it pours out the other side at the same rate,
      Quit pouring oil in without the cover.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

HA HA HA..yeah what Tom said. Button it up an then add oil!!!
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ha...thanks for the tips, I deserved all of them!!!!

I've got a complete replacement s/s bolt kit so good there.. everything in the housing is as good as new...probably because its been preserved in oil!! engine coming out today ... will try and post some photos if only to give you more ammunition......

Comment

dunno if it's too late but, Allen screws, just make the plot look cheap and common, and less vtg than it need be, in my humble view. I just use them, unless they are original equipment, for securing the halves of the handlebar switches (they are recessed anyway...)

Off course we are talking about proppa UJS screws....

I would rather invest in a good impact screwdriver.

Compliments for the bike.
            Last edited by Lorenzo; 07-11-2015, 10:01 AM.
            GS1000G '81

Comment

Cheers mate, not too late and will make a decision when it's out back together ... If it looks wrong, it won't stay. Taking the engine out turned into a mission, the bolts can't have moved for 30 years but all done now. Cleaning next before she's opened up!

Comment

You don't have to drain the oil.

Put the bike on the centerstand, slip a 2x4 (or whatever your common lumber size is) under the left footpad. The bike remains remarkably stable. And the stator housing will be dry.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve..if they dont break the screws loose BEFORE putting aboard under it the pressure of pushing the tool against the screw head will dump the bike..wanna see pics of my 1000C tank that became the victim of said board??? Just my opinion...seeing I was victim to the "board"..its unnecessary and a sketchy practice at best. So what if 3 or 4 ounces of oil comes out ( whats gonna NORMALLY be laying in the cover anyway ).

Lay a rag on the pipes and a drip pan under the cover and remove it standing FIRMLY AND SOLIDLY on the center stand as it was designed to be used. Heres the tank after the brake lever from my 78 750E stuck it....NO WAY IN HELLLLLL will one of my bikes EVER be on a board again!!!!!!!!!

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ouch Chuck! To be clear the engines was always coming out. The bike is officially in bits.........

I intend to take off the centre stand and just have a side stand so the board trick won't be for me, thanks anyway

Comment

I don't understand why all the fuss over draining a little oil out. Open the drain plug and dump some oil. Why risk knocking over the bike for a few minutes of wrenching. Hell, consider it a prime time to replace the oil with fresh stuff. I'm with chuck on this one.
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I posted my comment and pictures because SADLY there isnt much FULL EXPLANATIONS of the possible problems associated with giving out advice. See theres a lot of regurgitated advice around here.

I am all for someone giving advice but GOD DAMMMMED IT give full disclosure and not just a response thats says "do This!! If you read my posts in any of the forums I actually TAKE THE TIME to write WHY.

I bitch beacuse I took that advice not knowing that the bike is now LEANING disproprtionately to the right and is then very tippy with someone pressing a screw driver in and trying to loosen the bolts.....and over it went!!!!
                        Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-11-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          I hear tell you can balance a 1000C on the head of a pin if everything is perfect and Murphy is not around.

Comment

Sorry about your luck, Chuck, but I have even used the (hand) impact driver while the bike was "on the board".

Maybe I was using a newer "2x4" that is only 1 1/2 x 3 1/2, so it wasn't leaning quite as far?

All I know, it has worked for me SEVERAL TIMES, and I will continue to do it.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Jeez Chuck that sucks big time. I hate precariously balanced or perched stuff. Guys, just lose a little oil or lean the right handlebar against a workbench, wall or something stable.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                              https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X