Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I replace this gasket without messing something up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I replace this gasket without messing something up?

I currently have my carbs off to clean and noticed a lot of oil around the cam chain adjuster. At least I think that is what it's called. I found the gasket and diagram on gs Suzuki. See link below. If I take the adjuster assembly off (item 7+), replace the gasket (item 15), and add some engine gasket sealer will I have to adjust anything? Or worry about fouling anything up in the engine?

The tech files on this site are fantastic.
    Most everything you need to know will be here.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

You've done the hard part- removing the carbs! Before you remove tensioner, please read the removal method (and later reinstall) in this link. Best to understand the lockscrew and the locknut. For removal, loosen locknut, then tighten lockscrew on plunger shaft- this keeps it from plunging out during removal.

no need for gasket sealer - the suzuki gasket does it all!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Best if you put the engine at TDC on 1-4 before removing the tensioner. That way the cams wont rotate when it's removed.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          The tech files on this site are fantastic.
          Most everything you need to know will be here.
          http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html
          Nice! Thank you.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          You've done the hard part- removing the carbs! Before you remove tensioner, please read the removal method (and later reinstall) in this link. Best to understand the lockscrew and the locknut. For removal, loosen locknut, then tighten lockscrew on plunger shaft- this keeps it from plunging out during removal.

no need for gasket sealer - the suzuki gasket does it all!
          Thank you, this guide seems to fill in a few parts missing in the one Steve Murdoch posted.

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Best if you put the engine at TDC on 1-4 before removing the tensioner. That way the cams wont rotate when it's removed.
          I saw the TDC info in the bwringer guide.

I still need one thing clarified; If I dismantle and reassemble per the above guides will I need to re-tension the chain? Or is that something it does by nature with the spring constantly providing the required pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by Darazuu View Post
            I still need one thing clarified; If I dismantle and reassemble per the above guides will I need to re-tension the chain? Or is that something it does by nature with the spring constantly providing the required pressure?
            If you install it correctly it will automatically set the tension.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

While you are in there, check the cam timing. it's been off by a tooth or even two on a lot of the old GSes I have worked on.

And while you're in there check the valve clearances.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X