Crank Rotation with Cam Chain Tensioner Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Rotation with Cam Chain Tensioner Removed

I've been perusing this forum occasionally over last year since getting a GS (425L). Lots of good stuff on here.

I pulled the cam chain tensioner out yesterday since I already had the carbs out anyway and figured I should learn how it works and make sure it's working properly. I followed the bwringer guide which was very helpful. I set engine at TDC before doing it. Things is, it looks like the crank moved a little bit during the tensioner removal somehow, either after tension was already off, or while tension was being released. Not much, about the half the distance between the the F and T timing marks, on the order of a few degrees.

I don't have a feel for these things, so I'm not sure if a little bit of crank rotation is enough to merit pulling the cam cover off and checking to make sure no teeth were skipped. Or is that totally unnecessary? I did just adjust the valve clearance last month, so there would really be nothing else I'd need to do while I've got camshaft the cover off.
    1979 GS425L
    1981 GS850G
    1970 Lambretta DL150
    1993 Saab 900S
    1993 Saab 900T CE
    1958 John Deere 440 w/hoe (grandfather's, trying to fix up for him)

Patron Saint of Quality Footwear

If you did not rotate the motor it nature for it to shift removing the tensioner.
    Cock the tensioner and install.
    Uncock the tensioner and recheck TDC. It should be dead on with the cams.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      If you did not rotate the motor it nature for it to shift removing the tensioner.
      Cock the tensioner and install.
      Uncock the tensioner and recheck TDC. It should be dead on with the cams.
      After reinstalling the tensioner and placing tension back on the chain, the crank didn't return to the original TDC position. So I'm wondering whether I should take the camshaft cover off to investigate, or if it's unlikely that any teeth were skipped. I think I will take the cover off to take a look to be on the conservative side.
      1979 GS425L
      1981 GS850G
      1970 Lambretta DL150
      1993 Saab 900S
      1993 Saab 900T CE

Comment

Yes err on the side of caution always.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          Yes err on the side of caution always.
          I pulled the cover and took a look at the camshaft chain and everything looks good, arrows in right place at TDC and correct chain pin count, so I think I'm good to go. Thanks.
          1979 GS425L
          1981 GS850G
          1970 Lambretta DL150
          1993 Saab 900S
          1993 Saab 900T CE

Comment

If only one item moves (crank or cam), it will be the one with less resistance.

In the case of removing the tensioner, it appears that the crank was able to move a bit.

When you installed the tensioner, apparently the crank was happy where it was, so the cam moved.

You didn't rotate the crank through a few turns, so there was really no chance for anything to skip a tooth.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              If only one item moves (crank or cam), it will be the one with less resistance.

In the case of removing the tensioner, it appears that the crank was able to move a bit.

When you installed the tensioner, apparently the crank was happy where it was, so the cam moved.

You didn't rotate the crank through a few turns, so there was really no chance for anything to skip a tooth.

Thanks, this description helps me visualize what was going on.
              1979 GS425L
              1981 GS850G
              1970 Lambretta DL150
              1993 Saab 900S
              1993 Saab 900T CE

Comment

Working...
              X