Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike hit by car. Seeking advice

Hey guys,

So I work in downtown Chicago and today I walked out of work to see my 1980 GS550e had been hit by a car. The bar-end mirrors and a police report were sitting on the seat. So, good news is that I have the driver at fault's insurance info etc. bad news is that it looks like the driver somehow did not see my bike and drove into it while parked, cause the bike to topple. I did a decent inspection of the bike and it seemed to be in surprisingly good shape. Both mirrors are broken, the crash bar and exhaust end is scratched on one side, and it looks like the triple tree developed hairline cracks from the handlebars taking the impact. I also noticed a couple new small scratches on the downed side of the gas tank, although it's hard to confirm that they developed from the accident. Needless to say, I drove the bike away and everything seemed initially fine.

Anyway, I have a couple concerns now and ask for advice. Should I consider contacting the driver and simply asking for a few hundred bucks for the parts? I worry that since the bike is only worth about $1,300 or so, the insurance company could easily total it out for these small cosmetic issues. I also worry that a mechanic shop would be able to properly quote me due to the age. I would prefer to benefit from this and maybe swap out the current marked parts for upgrades.

thanks for your time

The "triple tree developed hairline cracks" and you drove it away?

I think that trying to collect a few hundred from an insurance company would be the LEAST of your worries.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I wouldn't be riding it with the damaged triple tree and other probable damages.
      With the insurance info and accident report in hand i would be seeking full restitution from the driver.
      If they write it off SOMETIMES it can be acquired back from the insurance company for cheap and then you can repair it yourself.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

In my experience insurance companies play straight if you play straight. If they suspect you are trying to benefit the shutters come down.
        Make an honest assessment of what you want. When you know the cost find out if that will total the bike and talk salvage. If you're prepared to do some work yourself to keep costs down tell them that as well. Some will sell the wreck to the owner first refusal, others won't as policy to discourage benefitting. It's probably best to talk to a shop anyway as we tend not to think straight after incidents like this and miss hidden damage.
        Armed with a shop quote you may find the driver will prefer to settle to avoid the excess on their policy and the premium hike. For some reason some are too nervous about doing what they see as back door deals and let the claim run it's course.You never really know who you are going to be dealing with. Was it a private vehicle or company owned.
        This is based on behaviour in these parts. Chicago could well be different. One thing to check is that frequently even if a no fault claim is lodged you find your premium going up as a reward for being involved in a loss.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Call your insurance company FAST. DON'T call or deal with the driver....
          Let the other guy's insurance total it if need be and do not accept the first or even second offer, explain to them it is a CLASSIC and worth much more money. keep mentioning the NAME of your lawyer. even if you got none ..
          You WILL be able to negotiate to get what it is worth AND KEEP IT TOO.. just takes two or three tries. don't sign till it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The "triple tree developed hairline cracks" and you drove it away?

I think that trying to collect a few hundred from an insurance company would be the LEAST of your worries.

Yea I didn't feel great about driving it away but I only live five mins away and had to get home so I could pickup my In-laws from the airport.

Sounds like the consensus here is to contact the insurance company. I'lil be doing that today. Thanks for the responses guys.

Comment

2 individual situations happened with me. They were a long time ago, so I dont know if it would still apply, but anyway..... my bike was knocked over while parked by my uncles son in law while he was learning to ride. The fall knocked a chunk of plastic off of the fairing, and the handlebar flexed and put a sizeable dent in the gas tank. My uncle put in an insurance call, and my bike was appraised and totalled. I told the appraiser that I had every intention to keep the bike. i was given 2 numbers - totalled, or totalled minus my buyback. I don't recall the numder, but it was fair im my opinion. There was no title issues regarding salvage, etc. It never left my possession.

I had an ElCamino that was crashed when a bimbo with a 2 week old drivers license cranked a left in front of me and smashed the passenger side of the ftont end. Insurance tried to give me book value on a 1966 car in the mid 90s. We fought, explaining that a decent amount of money had been spent restoring the car. Insurance had me send copies for parts/work done and adjusted the amount up.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Update: I went online and found out that his insurance company, "Direct Auto" is aweful. 1 star reviews across the board. Then I called him directly to see if he would consider simply writing a check for a few hundred and we could call it square. He was very nice and apologetic, said he called the police himself etc, but said I should go through the insurance company. So, as of now, I'm waiting for the insurance company to call me back regarding my claim. God knows if they ever will. I had to wait on hold for half an hour simply to start the claim and have them take my phone number.

Comment

Why isn't your insurance company doing any of this legwork for you?
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

All insurance companies are slime. Any occasional stories of good service won't change that basic truth one bit.

Comment

Should I consider contacting the driver and simply asking for a few hundred bucks for the parts?
                      DON'T call or deal with the driver....
                      Then I called him directly to see if he would consider simply writing a check for a few hundred and we could call it square
                      (nice try. Barnbike.) so,Tenshot, You told the driver your bike is worth "a few hundred"- Not a good place to start negotiation.... don't take this the wrong way- you are maybe too young to be patient, but let the mechanisms do their thing under your sharp and baleful eye . His friend is his insurance company. Your "friend" is your insurance company. If you have one....I am guessing not..?
                      Bad reviews are probably pretty common with insurance companies, but giving them an excuse to screw you ($200 won't go far even if you get it) won't help...

I would prefer to benefit from this
                      No, that's not legal or right. Think "fair" and that won't happen if you keep short-circuiting the mechanism.
                      Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-03-2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Wow I am pretty sure doing what you are doing is barely legal. You are effectively allowing a guy to avoid an increase in rates by pretending nothing happened.

You are being very unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                          Why isn't your insurance company doing any of this legwork for you?

This is is a question I have been asking myself. I called my local Allstate rep and they suggested I go thru their insurance and acted like they weren't supposed to help in this situation. If the other insurance doesn't come thru, I will go back to them and push.

Comment

This is beyond silly. Put in your claim with your company. The damage is not your fault. They will get the money fronm t he other guys company. That is the way it works.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                              This is beyond silly. Put in your claim with your company. The damage is not your fault. They will get the money fronm t he other guys company. That is the way it works.
                              Wot 'e said. If you have collision/accidence insurance, you file a claim with your insurance company and go from there.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X