No announcement yet.

Bike hit by car. Seeking advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why you pay insurance premiums. Make your insurance company do what you pay them to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      Wow I am pretty sure doing what you are doing is barely legal. You are effectively allowing a guy to avoid an increase in rates by pretending nothing happened.

You are being very unwise.

This is incredibly legal and is done all of the time. Truth is that his deductible is probably at least $500 and my damage is less than that. There is no mandate that the insurance get involved if you do not want them to. Insurance is a service that is paid for and can be accepted or denied as long as the parties can agree. My damage is not that substantial, so I was trying to save the hassle of having him pay way more (deductible + rate increases) and going through a month long process of dealing with a bad insurance company. The insurance company would probably prefer this since they would not have to work or make any sort of payout and simply continue to collect premiums. The reason rate increases occur is because they have had to payout in the past. My moto cost me $1400 to start with, so it comes down to how much time I want to spend trying to get an insurance company to pay out. Could take 20 hours to get $300 or so. Personally, my time is much more valuable than that.

Also, in response to Gorminrider, I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I did not tell the driver my bike was worth a few hundred, but rather that the parts to fix it would be worth a few hundred, $400 to be exact. But to say my bike in its entirety is worth a few hundred isn't drastically wrong. Its about as cheap as a fully functioning bike gets. And, as listed in a previous post, I have full coverage on the bike through AllState. Who drives a moto around Chicago without insurance? Wreckless!

Anyway, the drive was not interested in simply paying so it sounds like I will be putting in some time to get insurance to pay. As you guys have mentioned, my insurance company should be doing some of this work. I completely agree and assume I was misinformed by them when I called. This is the kind of advice I was looking for. I will get my original agent on the phone next week and get them to start working for me.

When I say "I would like to benefit from this" earlier in my post, I was referencing the fact that I have the chance to purchase aftermarket parts to replace my original. I am not trying to make money off of this deal or scam anyone by any means. I never stolen as much as a piece of gum and dont intend to start now. I had a situation in the past when my Jeep was stolen and vandalized, and I was able to replace the broken factory parts with aftermarket parts that performed better for my needs. The insurance company was happy to help out in this situation as long as I make up the difference when parts cost more than factory replacements.

Lastly, if any of you guys have dealt with an issue like this before, do you know how the adjuster quoted your parts? Its not like they could get new parts from the factory at this point, or maybe they could? I am not sure. Otherwise I guess they could look for used parts on ebay, but then those prices are very subjective and the quality can vary heavily.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Without deviating from the topic, get an assessor out to looka t the bike and he'll get the bike into a shop to get it repaired. Thats why people have insurance (driver of the car).

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
          Without deviating from the topic, get an assessor out to looka t the bike and he'll get the bike into a shop to get it repaired. Thats why people have insurance (driver of the car).
          I understand this portion and it is getting underway. The reason for the post was that I did not know how an old bike like this would be appraised and handled by an adjuster. Also, I checked my local moto repair shops, which somehow only like 4 exist in Chicago, and I am yet to find someone who would give the repairs an estimate. I wonder if I could make the long drive out to a suzuki dealership. Do you guys know if a dealership will still service and create estimates for these old bikes?

Comment

Originally posted by Tenshots1 View Post
            The reason for the post was that I did not know how an old bike like this would be appraised and handled by an adjuster.
            I see where you are coming from.
            Legal types advise that you should never officially ask a question that you don't already know the answer to.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I'll appraise the damage at $1556.99

Comment

Truth is that his deductible is probably at least $500 and my damage is less than that. There is no mandate that the insurance get involved if you do not want them to
                . Well, that's ok but I would at the least wait for him to come to me, not the other way around.
                Anyways, I feel for your bad luck and hope it works out .

Comment

Working...
                X