Windshields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshields

I helped a friend to find a first bike, and she chose a decent GZ250, after taking The Course, and now she wants a windshield, wants advice, got none to give her,
    don't like windshields, personally. Any input available from the Hive Mind? (should add that she's pretty short)
    Last edited by recycled64; 10-07-2015, 09:21 AM.
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Given the time of year and it's only getting colder, I'd suggest the type of shield that covers the handlebar ends too. The simple narrow shields are fine in the summer of course, but keeping the air blast off the hands counts for a lot in the winter.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Given the time of year and it's only getting colder, I'd suggest the type of shield that covers the handlebar ends too. The simple narrow shields are fine in the summer of course, but keeping the air blast off the hands counts for a lot in the winter.
      http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...rbo-windshield
      Agree. If you make the decision to get a windshield, might as well get some protection.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

It might be a bit too much for a 250 to push down the road, but the National Cycle Plexifairing 2 (or 3) offers a lot of protection. I have not noticed any drawbacks, but some might. May be that I got mine (hers, actually) set right? You can click on the link in my sig for my wife's 850L and see it.

A smaller version that does not have the hand protection is seen on my son's 650L. Also a National Cycle product, but I don't remember the model name right now.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it's the National Cycle Deflector
          1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
          2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
          2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

You are correct.

And the specific one on my son's 650L is the DX model with the quick-release brackets.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Just curious why she wants the shield. A lot of new riders think they need one when what they really need is to get their arm and torso muscles used to riding in the wind. Some bikes riding positions are terrible for this, ( L ) some are very good ( E ). Don't know how a GZ250 is, but slightly lower handlebars will help a lot of bikes in this regard. If she is worried about the cold weather there are suits and jackets made for this. Heated gear works wonders, proper clothing under the jacket, etc.

On the other hand if she's going to bust out on a multi thousand mile high speed road trip in November or December a windshield might be worthwhile.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Skip the windsheild,ugly- get her a full face and gloves. I hate gloves but as Grimly said, keeping the cold air blast off hands is a must , so here is my april and october removable hand fairing setup. (Yeah, I know about brush guards,)
                Attached Files
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Skip the windsheild,ugly- ...
                  And you think windshields are "ugly"?

Obviously our definitions of "ugly" are NOT the same.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Yep, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I like things that function well, like my hands in 45 degrees F at 65 mph.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have the National Cycle F16 and love it for a small screen that doesn't dominate the look of the bike.
                      I've used it on 3 ZRX's, a Bandit 600, and have one on my GS500.
                      On eBay, it runs just under $100 tinted, a little less clear.

Comment

The Shoei FM-2 is a nice motorcycle fairing found on ebay used. Emgo makes new clones of them. The Shoei FM-3 is even a better fairing if you can find one.

Comment

My 850GL has a Slipstamer S-05 turbo and works quite well since the bars are more pulled back. I really like the original Slipstreamer S-03 on bikes with more standard handlebars.

This is the shield that started it all! Although there have been a few design changes, this is the same shield Slipstreamer was built with.
                          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Look through my PlexiFairing 2

Notice the width and hand shielding

And here you can see the rake of the windscreen which I look over as I ride

Comment

That's a nicely detailed 850 there Wingsy.
                              1979 GS1000
                              1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Working...
                              X