1980 gsx 750 speedo problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gsx 750 speedo problem

Hi all,not sure where to post this,so opted for general. Whilst driving a while ago my speedo started bouncing up and down,then the needle started spinning round really fast,eventually shattered into lots of little pieces! Have removed speedo cable,is it possible to take the instrument panel apart,and get a replacement needle,or will I have to try track down a whole new display?! Any advice appreciated,cheers ��

Originally posted by ad777 View Post
    Hi all,not sure where to post this,so opted for general. Whilst driving a while ago my speedo started bouncing up and down,then the needle started spinning round really fast,eventually shattered into lots of little pieces! Have removed speedo cable,is it possible to take the instrument panel apart,and get a replacement needle,or will I have to try track down a whole new display?! Any advice appreciated,cheers ��
    Hmmm, sounds like the speedo drive locked up inside the housing causing it to do what it did. It is easy to take apart the speedo on your bike. Pull the speedo out and see if it locked up with the magnetic drive or something got in-between the two drive pieces causing it to lock up. Most likely you'll have to find a instrument cluster to get what you want. Maybe a GSR member has a spare needle or two for ya.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

One on Ebay:

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thankyou both,will try get that one on ebay,easiest option! Cheers ��

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Oh dang, I would love to get my hands on one like that. No more stinking 85mph speedo.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X