Type Thread Inserts Exhaust Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type Thread Inserts Exhaust Threads

I been using the copper coloured Time Serts for all my cylinder head spark plug holes. I finally got a Time Sert catalog and the time serts are either carbon steel or stainless steel? No Mention of copper plated spark plug inserts? I wondered if they had changed? I bought the time serts years ago. Also what would yo usuggest for repairing the exhaust threads? Wondered what you had luck with? Thanx Mike

Cad plated or yellow zinc plated can look like copper
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Yeah thank you, you're right. I put quite a few time sert spark plug inserts in heads (thanks steve rice!!!) and they are awesome, helicoils suck so much!! I wondered if I should put stainless steel in the Heads because stainless and stainless welds itself together!!! I use stainless socket head cap screws, I hate the look of those shcs when the heads rust on my bike and prefer stainless but I've also had stainless electro galvanically seize together Might Impressive when they do and it sucks, Perhaps there are other thread inserts (besides helicoils ) you guys use with success? Thanx Mike

Comment

Use locktite for ss to ss to greatly reduce the galling effect.
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Not anti seize? Black nickel based 2800 degrees Like used in power plants?

Comment

Antiseize on all stainless bolts.
            Ray.

Comment

Anti seize works, locktite works just as well, in non heated applications I should have noted.

Comment

Working...
              X