Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble disconnecting distance sensor from speedometer unit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble disconnecting distance sensor from speedometer unit.

Hey all,

I'm trying to crack open my speedometer unit to address an issue with the odometer and to see if I need to replace the whole thing, but I can't get it off the bike because the distance sensor won't come undone from the back. It's really in there tight and I don't want to break it. Does anyone know how to effectively pull it from the unit or is it permanently attached?

Thanks!

"Distance sensor"? You mean the cable that screws in back? If so just use rust penetrant and pliers.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I don't remember having to pull it loose whenn I opened up a meter. It simply comes off with the rear case.

Tom, the larger bikes have self-cancelling turn signals. Part of the system is a "distance sensor" that attaches to the rear of the speedo. It is not the cable that comes up from the wheel hub. There are magnets on the rotating mechanism inside that will trigger a reed switch (the distance sensor). The wires connected to the reed switch feed the signal to the Turn Signal Control Unit to tell it when the bike has travelled far enough to turn the signals off.

Comment

Here it is, do not remember having troubles disconnecting it; if you mean the reed switch housing, it's just jigsawed in place.

.DSC_0030.jpg
        Last edited by Lorenzo; 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM.
        GS1000G '81

Comment

Yes, I'm referring to the reed switch housing. It's strange, it seems like it's really stuck in there. The setup I have for opening the meter requires it being off the bike, and it seems like in your picture, Lorenzo, and in phydaeuxmutt's comment that you both removed the crimped metal band holding the rear case on, which I cannot do until I get it off the bike with my current system. So far I have removed the speedo cable and chrome backing from the unit, nothing else.. I'm a bit confused! Also not sure what you mean by "jigsawed" in.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2016, 09:14 PM.

Comment

You need to remove the speedo housing from the case holding all the meters/ligths.
            for jigsawed I mean it has no retaining clips, screw or whatever; You just need to move it fully to one side and let it come out from the other.
            GS1000G '81

Comment

Got it figured out. I ended up having to just cut the wires, and i'll solder them back together eventually. Thanks for the help. Turns out the speedometer is toast... Looks like I'll need a new one.

Comment

Working...
              X