Cylinder head gasket. Reuse old one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head gasket. Reuse old one.

Hi. I bought gasket set long time ago for katana 1982. Today I check cylinder gasket and it doesn't fit easy as old one and it have 2 more holes . I don't know if I can use new one either old one btw old looks pretty solid and better . New "grey" is I think cut a bit differently Also I can't find right part number on webside
    http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs650gl-...2.html#results is two different
    1114134200 or 1114134202

and third one is stamped on old original 899235 I wish reuse old one but I am not sure if is safe

jo2.jpg

Head gaskets can and have been reused. In some cases straight back others with lots of sealer of some kind. Neither is recommended and if it works you got away with it. The chance of it working is low.
    Replacement gaskets, especially non Suzuki, are frequently not an exact fit and require trimming around the locating dowels for example. Sometimes the fire rings are not centered exactly but that is tolerable as long as they don't come into the cylinder. The two extra holes you have , I don't think count for anything. Missing holes is a bigger problem. The big holes at the corners vary depending on whether the seal washer in integral to the gasket or separate.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 05-07-2016, 09:23 AM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thank you for answer. btw I decided buy original gasket.

Comment

Working...
      X