Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gaskets - what to coat them with so they don't stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tore the clutch gasket $11 + shipping it stuck on the bottom close to the exhaust. I wonder if the heat made it stick more.

would like to replace the valve cove gasket with a new one $40 and would like to have it last for a while - my model can't use the silicone gasket :-(

I've read to use
    oil - so should one soak the gasket before installing it?
    antisieze of any kind
    antisieze - special without 'glass beads'

any other ideas?
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

I tried antisieze, didn't work so well. It seized.

Spray can of white lithium grease seems to work OK.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They are supposed to stick (oil is what makes them stick BTW). Sometimes you get lucky and they come away clean and you get to reuse them. But each time you take something off you have to expect to replace the gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
        They are supposed to stick...
        disagree - silicone gaskets don't stick and they seal fine.
        1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Well silicone gaskets are completely different.
          Anyways. I hear wd40 works for keeping them from sticking.

Comment

just normal grease coated each side. But ONLY on clutch covers/tappet covers. Ones that dont need sealant anywhere on there surface

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
              They are supposed to stick (oil is what makes them stick BTW). Sometimes you get lucky and they come away clean and you get to reuse them. But each time you take something off you have to expect to replace the gasket.
              So you buy a new gasket every time you adjust the valves? spend an hour or two scraping? How silly.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

An old trick I learned years ago at the drag strip is to use Chap-Stik on Holley float bowl gaskets to keep them from sticking and tearing when changing jets. It works on any paper gasket, as well.

Candle wax works just as well on a larger gasket.

Comment

EZ Turn Lubricant EZ Turn is a specialty lubricant/sealant used for fuel and oil line valves & is resistant to high temps. Especially effective where high octane fuels and aromatics are present. EZ Turn is also e...

EZ Turn is a specialty lubricant/sealant used for fuel and oil line valves & is resistant to high temps. Especially effective where high octane fuels and aromatics are present. EZ Turn is also extremely efficient as a gasket paste & anti- seize agent. EZ Turn will not gum, crack or dry out. Each shipment is independently tested. Excellent for tapered plug valves, aircraft engine manufacturing, and marine applications. EZ Turn is the functional equivalent of fuel lube. 1 Lb. can
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                  X