Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clymer or Haynes?

Hi Guys,

I have a 1983 GS400E. I have used Haynes manuals in the past for my truck and dirtbike. What is your experience with either?

Thanks

Are you joking?

Clymer = Haynes = Garbage

Get yourself a REAL factory Suzuki service manual.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Are you joking?

Clymer = Haynes = Garbage

Get yourself a REAL factory Suzuki service manual.
      I wasn't joking, but, you're right. Since I'm going through the trouble of getting a manual, it may as well be a factory manual. Thanks.

Comment

Check Basscliff's sight for a download

Comment

And here's the link http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...ete_Manual.PDF .Used to be a Haynes link,glad to see it's now a factory one.BTW don't be put off by the GSX ,almost every where else in the world all the 4 valve Suzuki's where GSX.

Comment

Originally posted by stu78 View Post
            Hi Guys,

I have a 1983 GS400E. I have used Haynes manuals in the past for my truck and dirtbike. What is your experience with either?

Thanks
            I don't have any experience with any manuals for your 400, but I do have all three manuals for my 850. In order of preference: Factory, Clymer, Haynes.

I have found (significant) errors in both the Clymer and Haynes, but there are times that they might explain a procedure better than the factory manual. The factory manual assumes that you have training and/or experience, but Clymer and Haynes were written for the do-it-yourself owner.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              And here's the link http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...ete_Manual.PDF .Used to be a Haynes link,glad to see it's now a factory one.BTW don't be put off by the GSX ,almost every where else in the world all the 4 valve Suzuki's where GSX.
              This is great. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I don't have any experience with any manuals for your 400, but I do have all three manuals for my 850. In order of preference: Factory, Clymer, Haynes.

I have found (significant) errors in both the Clymer and Haynes, but there are times that they might explain a procedure better than the factory manual. The factory manual assumes that you have training and/or experience, but Clymer and Haynes were written for the do-it-yourself owner.

Very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

And for the less able of us, both the Clymer and Haynes manuals have more and clearer photos which can help significantly....
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I have the factory manual for my GS1000G. At times, it doesn't bother to explain things at all. I have a Clymers and at times, it give conflicting or incorrect info but the pictures are decent. The Haynes is semi-useless (IMHO). I have never had a Haynes manual that provided much info that was needed for any job. It is almost like a Reader's Digest version of a real manual and the Brit English is a bit hard to follow for a Texan.

Comment

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the factory manual is perfect, or even all that much better than the aftermarket manuals.

You need all three, plus a healthy dose of the GSR Hive Mind and your own brain. Just like all the others, the factory manual is shot through with potentially disastrous errors, inexplicable translations, and incredibly bad images. It also assumes you are a factory trained Suzuki mechanic working in a shop fully equipped with all the Suzuki special tools, so it skips a TON of necessary information.

You'll find stuff like "Use Special Service Tool #8765-19986666978QZR to remove the frammis from the plorb..." with absolutely no description or image of said tool or the parts involved. It's absolutely maddening.

All the manuals also assume you are working on a stock bike that hasn't suffered 30 years of corrosion, neglect and thumbfingered POs, and none discuss the necessary upgrades and modifications to the brakes, electrical system, suspension, etc.

With all three available, sometimes you can sort of triangulate the problem at hand, or perhaps, maybe, you can even find a halfway intelligible picture of what you're supposed to do.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The Haynes manual is for the GSX. (8valve engine) with square cam end covers. The Clymer is for the 450 (4 valve engine) with round cam end covers

This is the shop manual for your bike but is specific to the GSX250.=91 mb

You also need the gsx 400 supplement =5.2mb linked below it on Bass cliff's page
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-10-2016, 12:59 PM.

Comment

The Haynes for my GS1000 is a great manual. I have used it for over 20 years on three different GS1000's, and have dismantled and reassembled and rebuilt most things possible on these bikes.
                          I have found it a bit vague on a few things, eg. reassembling the cam chain tensioner, and consulting the factory manual helped clear things up.
                          But the most frustrating thing about the factory manuals is that they tell you to use Special Tool # 309587-5xt3508 to remove something. Whereas the Haynes manual tells you how to make your own special tool to get the job done.
                          So, get both.

Comment

yes, I agree with you. The Haynes is the one I use for my GSx 400s -I have the printed version of it and I use it for the most common jobs . Where things seem a little more difficult,or doubtful, I'll print off the relevant pages of the shop manual too.

Comment

Working...
                            X