2012 gsx1250fa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 gsx1250fa

What is the trick to getting the original oil filter off this bike? No room to work and the thing seems glued on.

Owner thinks the Dealer just changed the oil and not the filter over the last few years. Bike has 4500 miles on it.

Any engine longevity issues with an old filter still in place?

Those have an oil cooler that is plumbed to the radiator behind the filter. If you have a factory style filter wrench (about nine or ten bucks at a dealer) it should come right off. If the filter gets dirty enough it will by-pass internally and the oil will no longer get filtered.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
      Owner thinks the Dealer just changed the oil and not the filter over the last few years. Bike has 4500 miles on it.

Probably not with only 4500 miles on it. People change oil often on motorcycles in general because bikes run the oil through the gearbox and that shears up the long molecular chains that provide lubrication. The oil doesn't get dirty so much as beaten to a pulp.

I would second the factory wrench, it makes life easier when trying to reach in past everything.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Had the same issue on my '01 Bandit. The filter was in behind the exhaust pipes and there was juuuust barely enough room to wiggle it out between the pipes. Some ignoramous engineers out there. I can say that because I am one.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Filter end cap wrench.

Going to pick one up for mine today.

Nic
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
            What is the trick to getting the original oil filter off this bike? No room to work and the thing seems glued on.

Since the post was made several months ago, I presume you will have had some success by now, but here is the info, anyway

Start with a cold engine. If hot there is a real risk you will get burned as the space is REALLY tight and putting your hands near hot pipes is never a great idea.

Begin removing fairing bolts by the fuel tank, and continue down and forward.

Proceed with the others until the left side of the fairing is off.

There is a small link at the bottom of the fairing that keeps the right and left halves together..

Open that and lift the fairing away.

Move the coolant hose to the side (towards the back) and reach in to access the filter.

If you don't have the correct filter wrench, do as I did: large, slip-joint pliers. You may crush the old one (I did) but it will come off.

With the coolant tube pushed aside there is sufficient room to remove the filter.

The new one goes in the same way.
            Oil the seal on the new one, then turn it on by hand

Refill and start the engine to check for leaks....
            Do this before re-installing the fairing

Replace the fairing and bolts.

Took me about an hour to do the oil change.....
            Last edited by argonsagas; 12-10-2016, 03:05 PM.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Scratchet ty he filt3r wrench. Just used an 9ld rubber strap wrench and it came riget off.
              83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Working...
              X