Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
    That is correct.

Back in the day do you think a Dealer would do that? I would say no. Drain in the bottom, fill the top with fresh.
    Dealers left fork caps loose, sold bikes with wrong sized wheel bearings, put in the wrong valve shims, left oil drain plugs loose. Just the other day I found several loose screws and bolts on a brand new 2016 bike... which hadn't even been ridden yet. Doesn't mean I'm going to, but feel free to do as you please. You're the one who has to ride it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
      Good luck with the air. On mine you have to remove the handlebars to add air…

My '82 has 15 wt 150cc and no air. It's a little low and soft, but I'm older now. When I consider that a Marzocchi mountain bike fork [same basic design] has 35psi per leg and weighs about 200 with me on it, 7 psi on a 600 lb combo won't do much. It's just a trim adjustment. Usually varying degrees of temporary.
      Agree with a little soft. No problem with handlebars, bike on lift. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Dealers left fork caps loose, sold bikes with wrong sized wheel bearings, put in the wrong valve shims, left oil drain plugs loose. Just the other day I found several loose screws and bolts on a brand new 2016 bike... which hadn't even been ridden yet. Doesn't mean I'm going to, but feel free to do as you please. You're the one who has to ride it.
        Tom, you are correct on sloppy work by Dealers as I have seen this also. I'll bet Dealers never measured down the tubes but rather fill a cup, pour it in, cap it and over charge the work. Didn't matter if it was correct.

I have rebuilt many a motorcycle, one of which was many upgrades on a 2003 Hayabusa. I ran that bike up to 155 mph before backing off. It was only at 7700 rpm. I had it geared for 200 but chickened out. Sure it would of done it too. Speed was verified by GPS. So to your remark I am the one who rides it and not afraid to do so.

All I wanted out of this thread was a liquid meausurment not a proper way to measure it.

Comment

The issue here is that splitting hairs on the oil fill quantity adds no value to your build. You are simply blindly following Suzuki's lead, whether it was well considered or otherwise.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            The issue here is that splitting hairs on the oil fill quantity adds no value to your build. You are simply blindly following Suzuki's lead, whether it was well considered or otherwise.
            ...and now I'm blind. First I was stupid. Blindly stupid ought to cover it then huh?

Comment

Suzuki did a few stupid things on the GS family of bikes. The stator loop up through the hand control for one, and grounding the R/R through the rubber mounted battery box on some models for another. The point being that if you are just blindly following what Suzuki did in all aspects, on a bike that lacks collectors value, then "blindly stupid" wouldn't be far from the truth.

BTW, did you mix your own fork oil from motor oil and ATF? And do you plan to change your brake lines every two years like Suzuki says to do?
              Last edited by Nessism; 06-13-2016, 09:33 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The funny part is the time spent arguing was more than enough to do it right. Fork oil is not about top speed.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  The funny part is the time spent arguing was more than enough to do it right. Fork oil is not about top speed.
                  Funny part is you started the argument in post 13. My signature holds true.

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
                    Look in chapter 7, page 190. It's an addendum to the rest of the book. (Haynes manual)
                    Oh!-Yes! that will be the "anti-dive" forks model! Do you have that?

I was looking at page 195.
                    apology/excuse: It's really hard scrolling non-bookmarked pdf's. I'm glad you have the Haynes though-I've never found a Suzuki shop manual beyond my 81' so Haynes is the only resource I know.
                    Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-14-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Good luck with the air. On mine you have to remove the handlebars to add air…

I think they decided to add some air spring so they upped the oil capacity to shorten the chamber and put air caps on, but never actually thought it through. I think the original suspension setup was for a 125 lb Japanese guy delivering noodles in Tokyo in the winter.

I had my '79 set up with about 2" cut off the springs and 2" PVC spacers; 6 oz of 20 wt fork oil. Ready for Mexico.

My '82 has 15 wt 150cc and no air. It's a little low and soft, but I'm older now. When I consider that a Marzocchi mountain bike fork [same basic design] has 35psi per leg and weighs about 200 with me on it, 7 psi on a 600 lb combo won't do much. It's just a trim adjustment. Usually varying degrees of temporary.
                      yes, I've never had much luck with air forks on my motorcycles, bicycle pump and low-reading air gauge notwithstanding. ESPECIALLY when there are two valves- Impossible to put the same air in each... Honda did a better job, linking the two forks with an airline so you could do both at once...but I would prefer if they had a gauge included so you didn't lose air just checking it with the push-on gauge!! I've heard of just adding a little more oil as a fudge, rather than messing with airpumps. Whichever needs need pretty good forkseals to hold the higher airpressure and I've just about given up on it.

Comment

(Additional) air pressure is just to adjust the preload to get the "sag" correct. Added air also has the ability to leak out, so you lose that preload. It is much better to install better springs that can be customized for YOUR weight (not the lightweight Japanese test rider) and not rely on additional air. You won't have to worry about checking the "sag" on your suspension for at least another 30 or 35 years, which makes it all worth it.

And for those who install heavier fork oil to "firm it up", I shake my head. The springs are what keep the front end from diving, the oil viscosity only determines how fast it will dive. Installing heavier oil will still let the forks bottom out on heavy braking, it will just take longer to do so.

Back to your regularly-scheduled discussion.

Last edited by Steve; 06-14-2016, 12:08 PM.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          (Additional) air pressure is just to adjust the preload to get the "sag" correct. Added air also has the ability to leak out, so you lose that preload. It is much better to install better springs that can be customized for YOUR weight (not the lightweight Japanese test rider) and not rely on additional air. You won't have to worry about checking the "sag" on your suspension for at least another 30 or 35 years, which makes it all worth it.

And for those who install heavier fork oil to "firm it up", I shake my head. The springs are what keep the front end from diving, the oil viscosity only determines how fast it will dive. Installing heavier oil will still let the forks bottom out on heavy braking, it will just take longer to do so.

Back to your regularly-scheduled discussion.

Well said.

But finding 'better' springs is a PIA, so shortening the stockers is more practical. If you do some measuring I think you find that you can cut up to 2" off the stockers and that probably ups the spring rate about 10%. Then use a PVC pipe spacer to set the sag and you're in probably the same place for zero $. You DO have to square off the cut end so the spring sits right, plus there is the question of whether to shorten the closer wound end or the wider. You have to leave enough spring length so the spaces between the coils add up to the travel PLUS the preload distance [cap depth plus projection] to avoid coil bind.

It's been two decades since I last did this, but will probably be doing it soon. There's a humpy bridge - clank! - on my usual ride that I'm tired of slowing down for.
                          '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            Oh!-Yes! that will be the "anti-dive" forks model! Do you have that?
                            No, both forks are the same however everywhere I read it's more fluid on the left side (brake side) than the right side. At least for my year/model.

Comment

But finding 'better' springs is a PIA, so shortening the stockers is more practical.
                              Would you believe that it's actually as painless as clicking A LINK?

The link will take you to Sonic Springs. The owner is Rich Desmond, a member here. If your bike is not listed, contact him through his website or a PM here, I'm sure he can find something for you.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Almost as easy as checking the oil level in the forks.

Comment

Working...
                                X