bad brake squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad brake squeal

I just replaced my front pads and now when I come to a stop it sounds like a thousand rats squeaking this has been going on now for 3 days I was hoping that they needed to seat but that's not the case here. Anyone have any suggestions? I used organic pads could they be the cause?

Have a read:

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I used brake lube on them.

Comment

Is this the '79 850? Some pads squeal more than others, but the early round pad brakes tend to squeal. The later ones don't.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes it is it's the 79 with the round pads

Comment

I never keep those round pad brakes because the don't slow you down very much, but they almost always seem to squeal.
            What procedure did you use to bed in the pads? Get them good and hot first? Easy braking in the beginning then more aggressive?

If you did all of that you might try some different pads. I like the sintered ones, at least you get a little more braking, don't know about the likelihood of squealing.
            If it were my bike I'd find some '80 and later calipers with the rectangular pads, they don't squeal and actually slow you down a little bit.

Comment

I got them good and hot rode around with the brake dragging maybe I should try again.

Comment

I am looking to upgrade after the riding season is over here I have a lot of work I plan to do this winter

Comment

Get them hot by dragging then brake somewhat harder, gently at first, then harder. Too hard too early can deform the pads completely, not getting them hot enough doesn't cook the resins in the pads and doesn't transfer the pad material onto the disc. It can make a huge difference.

Better yet, spend an hour googling what happens when modern high performance brake pads are bedded in properly, there's some amazing science going on in there.

Comment

Ok I'll do that

Comment

Working...
                    X