where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to start?

So i just got my first suzuki a 1981 GS450 T. and i want to get it running in tip top shape before hitting the road. I already plan on changing the spark plugs and oil, and i want to check the valves to make sure they are in spec but i was wondering if any one had the info for where the valves should be so i can change them correctly.

The bike runs pretty well right now but i know from past experiences that i should ensure that it is well maintained before i get to excited.

Any info or links to where i can find the info i need would be greatly appreciated!
    1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Here ya go.

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I think this still works. Welcome to the GSRs !

BikeCliff Website

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks guys that is exactly what i needed!
        where the best place (users?) to get shims from?
        1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

3 posts and still no pics?
            Welcome to the site.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Your so right how rude of me, lol
              Here it is once I got it home, I have since given it a well deserved bath to rid if of all the road grime an old oil stains.
              image.jpg
              1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Hope that come out right posted it from my phone
                1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by SilentRaven View Post
                  Hope that come out right posted it from my phone
                  It worked ok. If you get an account on a photo hosting website you can embed images that are full-size in the post. Using the image upload feature on the forum results in smaller images presented as thumbnails.

Comment

1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

so i plan on attempting reading my valves tomorrow on my day off, is there a chart that will help me figure out what shims i may need once i get my measurements
                      1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Welcome SilentRaven,

Nice little "T" you got there. Single front disc, rear drum...hey! You got an 8V engine! I haven't dealt with shims but BassCliff's link has the resources you need.

Post a pic of your "T" here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ge4&highlight=

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          Welcome SilentRaven,

Nice little "T" you got there. Single front disc, rear drum...hey! You got an 8V engine! I haven't dealt with shims but BassCliff's link has the resources you need.

Post a pic of your "T" here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ge4&highlight=

Ed
                          thanks Ed! i was wondering if any body knows what exactly the GS and T stood for? just curious mostly. i like to know as much as i can about my bikes
                          1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

thanks Ed! i was wondering if any body knows what exactly the GS and T stood for? just curious mostly. i like to know as much as i can about my bikes
                            Oh my...a history lesson. Goto the main page via the FORUM (Next to "What's New) link at the top left. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on "The GSResourcesHomepage". Under "GS Info" you will see "History". Under the same drop down menu you will see "Model Information".

You'll find out quirks about each model as well as likes and dislikes by members...let the show commence. lol

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The math is pretty simple: of the clearance is too big, increase the size of the shim. A member here will share his spreadsheet that calculates it for you.
                              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                              X