Handlebar riser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar riser

I'm thinking of getting a handlebar riser to shift my riding position a little higher and remove some of my upper body weight off my arms/shoulders. I tend to get a knot in the right side of my back near the collar bone.

Does anybody know what the maximum height and pullback one could go without having to change cable length? I am not concerned about my brake line as the braided steel one I have has plenty of slack already.

Currently looking at these risers from Rox:

Has anybody used either of these? If so, any need to change cable length? Any other brands that you would recommend?

Thank You,
    Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Having difficulty pulling up your links. Tried two different computers, two different browsers, one on the comany's inhouse network, the other on the "guest" network.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Links do work from here.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Links are working fine from my work computer. I will check them when I get home tonight. Thanks for the head up.
        82 GS1100E
        five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
        Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

I'll check when I get home in another hour, might just be something about the company network.

Did not expect any such "thing" on the guest network, though.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ive never used them on a bike, but they work great on atvs. We abuse the heck out of them and Ive never had one break or slip.
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I was looking at those too. I have chronic knots in my trapezius (all around my shoulder blade and collar bone).

One thing to remember is the weight of your helmet. If you're leaning forward a little and keeping your head up, you're putting strain on some muscles (not sure exactly which). I find that keeping my head down a little and looking 'up' a little helps. But that being said, I'm on a mission to find the right handlebar rise and offset.

Comment

Those are classy but expensive risers. Take a look on eBay as there are many less expensive options but most won't have any adjustability like the ones pictured.

www.vintagemotorcycleshows.com/

Comment

I used the 2" Rox risers on my Bandit, loved them. You can go up, back, forward and find the sweet spot. On the Bandit the brake hose was too short.
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I grabbed a pair like this. Not great looking but they sure made a world of difference on my arms, & back.

Comment

I'm getting pretty close to buying a set of these. I'd love to find the perfect bars but that's becoming harder than I expected. I've got my eye on the Honda CB1100 bars but they're over $100.

Comment

One more possibility for the mix, you can switch in different sized pieces to experiment with getting the height right. Might have to check the bolt spacing. Price is pretty good, I might give these a try.
                        Regards,
                        Jason

Comment

I definitely need the bars to be closer more than needing them higher - the Rox option gives you all that range of motion to experiment with.

Something similar I found was this - the PowerMadd Power Riser. It comes in different widths. I believe it's intended for off-road machines but I'm not totally sure, and that shouldn't matter as long as it fits. It's not as elegant as the Rox, but it removes the risk of bars not being parallel.

Comment

So...what did you go with? Can you post a pic? I am thinking about it as well. Thx
                            1982 GS1000S Katana
                            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Fender Eliminator.jpg
                              I went with one of these.

Comment

Working...
                              X