Picked up a Honda TRX400 quad with a GS500 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a Honda TRX400 quad with a GS500 motor

So i picked up a Honda TRX400 quad that someone had stuffed a Suzuki GS500 motor in. All of the electrical is from the donor GS. First of all, i am trying to figure out the year of the engine. The engine number is M504-113807. Is there a way to figure out the year of the engine from this number? The wiring is a rat nest and i would like to make sure im looking at the right diagram before i attempt to get this thing running. Thanks for any advise .

Since this thing has the suzuki electrics, look for the ignitor box- the part number might give you clues to the year.
    And don't forget to post pics- this place likes disasters
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok thanks, i will check out the ignitor and take a few pics when i get home

Comment

Heres a couple pics
        Attached Files

Comment

A couple more pics
          Attached Files

Comment

The ignitor is a about the size of a cigarette pack- unlikely to have heatsink ribs like the regulator/rectifier.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It seems to fit pretty good. lol
              I've messed with quads for several years now, and its kinda funny to me that you can mod the heck out of a 450cc sport quad to the point where its not really fun to ride (and spend thousands in cams/head/exhaust) and get maybe 60-70hp, or you can find a pretty "mild" street bike motor (2 or 4 cylinder) around the same displacement that starts with nearly that kind of power (and goes way up if you get a late model sport bike motor). In fact Ive seen R6 and R1 motors from totaled street bikes put into $100 quads and are so ridiculously fast that its scary... and still have less than $1500 in the projects.
              Good luck with that and have fun on it.. it looks like a great toy.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Heres my ignitor... not sure how to decipher the numbers yet
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tywhitty View Post
                  Heres my ignitor... not sure how to decipher the numbers yet
                  Me neither, most suzuki ignitors are like 32900-xxxxx on the gs500 model. Check your signal generator setup to make sure it appears stock ( remove little cover lower right side)
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Using the color diagram for a 81 gs550 for reference, i patched up some of the rat nest this morning and managed to get this thing to fire up. Seems to run pretty good- has a little hesitation when revving from idle, but i think i can cure that with a little carb clean and dialing in. I havent got to ride it yet, it doesnt have a chain... but im planning on grabbing one tonite.

Comment

Keep us updated - this thing looks like it could be a ton of fun
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                      X