Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small but annoying oil leak... Did I miss something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small but annoying oil leak... Did I miss something?

I had a small oil leak somewhere on the top of the cylinder / cylinder head (its kinda hard to tell exactly which is why Im posting this). So I replaced the valve cover gasket, adjusted the valves, retorqued the head bolts, cleaned it all up and lo-and -behold, its still leaking (even though the old gasket fell apart upon removal). So are the some type of crush washers or O-rings that I should've replaced ?
    Last edited by TxGSrider; 08-24-2016, 05:15 PM.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Pull up the parts fiche for the "cylinder head" and you'll see two O-rings (#17) that seal that tower looking seal nut (#14)... that's a common leak area.

'85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

You guys rock. I may pull it apart this weekend and replace them.
        Last edited by TxGSrider; 08-25-2016, 09:34 PM.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I pulled the cover and changed the o rings. One had obviously been leaking. Thanks guys for your help.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I wonder if that is where my leak is coming from now. It's right there in the middle as well.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
            X