GS450 and their common issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 and their common issues

Hey y'all, I'm looking at getting my first bike here in a week or so. I'm looking at either an 86 gs450l or an 81 gs450l. Both are priced similarly, but if splurging for the pricier one (86) means I'm getting a more reliable bike, I'm all about it. I'm curious to know if there are any issues that one year of this bike tended to have that the other may not have. I'm a 5' lady around 110 pounds, so I'm hoping this little ride will be a decent enough fit for me. I'm planning to turn her into a brat by next spring with any luck.
    Thank in advance

Welcome to the site, Yeslek.
    No real difference between the years of that model. It all has to do with how well either one of them has been maintained.
    Read at least the first entry in the newb mistakes for some great GS info. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ewbie-Mistakes
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Rad, thanks so much! I'm stoked to start my two-wheeled adventures. My boyfriend rides a 2010 honda shadow phantom and I never thought I'd even consider a motorcycle until the day I got on the back of that thing, now it's all I've been researching in my spare time for the last few months.

Comment

Hello Yeslek.
        I own an 81 450l myself. Steve was correct, no 2 are alike.
        I'd recommend taking a motorcycle safety riders course. I had been riding for years, but took it with my wife when she got her first bike. It was a great refresher for me and she got to learn from a pro. Some insurance company's will give you a discount if you take it as well.
        Good luck!

Comment

That's definitely part of the plan. My boyfriend took a safety course and it helped immensely when he got his first bike, so I'll be doing the same for sure.

Comment

Why not look at GS500's as well - they have pretty much the same engine as the 450 but you have more modern running gear and a newer bike.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I'll definitely look into it, though what I've found online in my price range so far is the 450's and I really like their look. That being said, I'm really small and may or may not be able to handle much more than a 450.

Comment

The 500's are not really any more powerful than the 450's.

Also keep in mind those 450's are 30-40 years old and any bike of that age can naturally take more maintenance to keep running compared to a newer bike.

And for their size, power, etc they are quite a heavy bike.

I know you like the look of the 450's, but as a new rider on your first bike I would recommend something like a Ninja 250 / 300. I know they are a bit more expensive but you'll be able to sell it in 12 months for not much less than what you pay for it now. And they are easy to ride / learn on.

Also spend a decent amount on protective gear.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Welcome to the site! A 450 is a fine first bike as long as it fits you, and is a perfectly capable bike as you gain experience. It will require a bit more work than a newish bike, at the same time maintenance on it should be stone simple compared to most newer bikes. It's not a great idea to own any type of motorcycle unless you like to spin wrenches, but that doesn't sound like a problem for you, as you already have plans for your bike... Ninja 250s are an excellent ride, if you find one out there for a good price. A lot of these choices come down to fit, price, availability.

Best of luck, +1 on the safety course, and happy adventuring!
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

The 81 has a few differences to the 86 that may affect maintenance. If there are ignition or carburettor issues the 80 - 82 models are pretty unique whereas the 86 not so much. However, some GS500 bits will bolt on to either model.

+1 to what the others have said about maintenance being the key to which is best and being an older bike it will definitely take more hands on time to keep up to scratch than a modern bike. Gotta remember these bikes are likely older than you!

I still ride my 82 450 nearly every day all year round and have now put over 50000km's on it since rebuilding it and still have barrel of fun out in the twisties chasing the bigger bikes too.

If you want a good reliable bike, then certainly look at a newer GS500, but if your plan is to customise it later down the track, the 450's have a better frame layout etc. that lends itself better to this. I've seen a few custom GS500's and unless you're going for more of a modern streetfighter thing they just don't seem to work as well for brats, scramblers, trackers, etc.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to ignore!
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks Pete! Good to know. Turns out the 81 sold this morning, so I'm hoping for the best with this 86. I definitely want to turn it into a lil brat project in my down time this winter between riding seasons. My concern with the 500's and 550s is the weight. I'm only about 110 pounds myself, and the 450s are 'round 385 pounds. I would worry about a bike much bigger than that as my first ride (the 550's are closer to 500 pounds, didn't look up the 500's) in the event that I lay down the bike while I'm still learning. I'm sure I'll eventually get a more modern ride- thinking a sportster if I ever win the lotto- but as a starter bike, the 450 is looking like a stellar option for me.

Comment

There's something to be said for a light first bike, but it's less important than how it fits your frame. some awfully small people ride Goldwings, then again some awfully tall Steves ride them too. I do sometimes miss the (for my 'vertically replete' frame) happy-go-lucky lightness of my 550 at times, especially on back roads. But not when I have my now 21 year old son on the back!
                        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

The 500's should be a similar weight to the 450's, maybe even a bit lighter. 550's are different again as they're a 4 cylinder.

Allie's comments are spot on too.

I regularly swap bikes with another fella on a hotted up Katana because there are times he likes to jump on a small light bike. Of course I like jumping on a big powerful bikes sometimes too Hence the Kat I'm building, best of both worlds!
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I have a 1981 GS450S.

I think it would be a perfect first bike. It's strong enough to get on the highway without being scared of not being able to get away from an issue, and light enough that you can get it around a hazard. While Ninja 250 and 300 models are popular fist bikes, I don't think that the forward seating position is good for a first time rider. A standard position that the L sits the rider into puts a first time rider upright, able to look around, and comfortable. The sport seating position that pitches the rider forward comes easy to some, but not to everyone, and I wouldn't suggest it, especially since your rider course is going to be on something like a honda rebel, or if it's at Harley it will be on one of their 500cc urban rides which has a standard seat position.

The L sits different than my S as it has a lower rear with a 16" rim, so being short, you will have an easier time. Even the S is small and sits short enough that you could ride it.

As far as "issues" and doing maintenance and repair, it's somewhat unique, but also very supported. I've found TONS of places online to get what I need. Even if my motor blew up on me tomorrow, there are plenty on ebay that I can get and slap in.

Personally, I think you should find an S model

I second the comment made about gear. Buy GOOD QUALITY gear. I personally like the modular helmets because they are full face, but allow an easy on and off process as the entire face of the helmet lifts out of the way. I have a Bilt Evolution with bluetooth. I don't think the bluetooth was worth the money, but the non-bluetooth model is on sale at cyclegear for $100.

Adidas tennis shoes are not proper footwear, regardless of how many times I've been seen riding in them. LOL
                            I actually usually ride in steel toe Navy flight deck boots. They're 10 years old and still polish up to be inspection ready!

Welcome to the community!

Comment

Working...
                            X