GS850G Steering stops???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Steering stops???

The 1980 GS850G that I am rebuilding was not quite complete when I got it.
    Now that I am reassembling I find an 8mm thread each side of the frame in the area at base of head stem area.
    If steering stops were originally installed they would be in these threads.
    Can anyone help as I cannot find anything on parts fiche?
    I attach a photo which may help describe what I am talking about.
    Attached Files

Picture is too close to see exactly where you are.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your bike is a GS850L. Yes it's still a G but it's the cruiser model. I have mine on the rack right now so I took some pictures. The holes are for mounting a guide or fairing for the wires and cables just in front of the tank. I wish they'd made the tank a little larger like the GT model. Anyway if I can figure out how to post these four pictures they will explain all.IMG_0846.jpg
      I think my files are too large, I'll post this and try again after I modify the photos.

Comment

Suggest you upload images to an image hosting service like photobucket and use the IMG link to post large pics. I believe we are limited to one pic uploaded from a computer. Suspect the forum owner's need to conserve bandwidth a bit.

Comment

Thanks geol, I'll try that.

Comment

GS850G Steering stops??

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Picture is too close to see exactly where you are.

Steve: Perhaps the new picture will give better view.
            It is not the bolt holes where wiring clips go.
            They are the ones that I placed a long bolt in for illustration purposes.
            The holes in question are the ones with the white plastic cartridge nozzle inserted.
            Attached Files

Comment

OK I found the holes you refer to. The one on the left side of my bike is finger tight and holds nothing. The one on the right holds a wire loop to hold up a wiring harness. This is on my 850L. I'll check my 1000L in the morning when I have daylight and get back to you. Interesting problem.

Comment

Not sure how the horns mount on your bike but that is fairly close to where they should. Can't really tell by the picture. On my GS1000G there are two horizontal tab mounts the horns mount to by the big stud on their back. I don't recall where the tab mounts attach to the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
                  Not sure how the horns mount on your bike but that is fairly close to where they should. Can't really tell by the picture. On my GS1000G there are two horizontal tab mounts the horns mount to by the big stud on their back. I don't recall where the tab mounts attach to the frame.
                  Thanks geol:
                  No the holes are not for horns as they mount above cam cover right at front of the bike.
                  I am starting to thinks that are just holes and not for any real purpose.
                  Your response is greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by only7bikes View Post
                    OK I found the holes you refer to. The one on the left side of my bike is finger tight and holds nothing. The one on the right holds a wire loop to hold up a wiring harness. This is on my 850L. I'll check my 1000L in the morning when I have daylight and get back to you. Interesting problem.
                    thanks only7bikes:
                    I appreciate time taken in responding.
                    As I now have the basic engine back in the frame and wiring room roughly laid in I will just proceed with assembly and see if I come up with a use.
                    If not I will just accept that they are holes and nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                    X