Speedometer cable lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer cable lengths

Hi, would anyone be interested in a guide for model specific gs cable lengths?

The reason I ask, is because I am currently gathering the last bits for a gs550l custom project, and the stock speedo cable is about 6 inches too long to be practical.

My first thought is to buy a gs250 cable.

Later today I will post the exact length of the outer liner from end to end for a 1981 gs550l.

most interested in the gs250 cable length, if anyone out there has that info.

Thank you very much, have a good day.

I just did a little bit of browsing through the part fiche for both bikes. I was a bit surprised to find that speedo cables seem to be a one-year-only thing.

Yep, the '81 550L cable is a different number than the '80 550L, and so on. Seems that they are not quite unique, though, the 550 cable also fits the 450 in some years.

Not sure what all the differences are, might just be a slightly different bend at one end, so it will be interesting to see what you have to offer.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This surely would be useful. My experience so far with aftermarket cables is that they're either a bit too long, or a bit shorter than stock, requiring creative routing.

Edit: Though thankfully I never had problems with neither the speedo or tach cables.
      Last edited by roeme; 11-08-2016, 11:52 AM.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

1981 GSG550L speedometer cable outer liner length is exactly 44". Cable is known to be OEM and original to the motorcycle.

Comment

Working...
        X