Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello All. Need help getting my GS700 to start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5t341th View Post
    I used the dynojet stage3 jets. Not sure the exact number but whatever was included. Mixture screws have been adjusted using fast idle method already
    I don't think the DJ kit includes pilot jets (can someone confirm that?), are they still stock? Where are your mixture screws at? Through this jetting adventure you will want to be keeping copious notes of everything you change and where your settings are at, it makes figuring things out much easier.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Ill add what i have found on two of my bikes. both were very hard to start after being left for a few days.
      GSX 250 and a GPZ750R1. They would drain the battery sometimes trying to start.
      Choke out, in throttle open, close made no difference.

Both were tuned to perfection, plug gap, timing, valve clearance, mixture, compression,

Anyway simply by putting them both on prime to start (if you have that option on your fuel tap)
      they both work second spin !
      Does your start with an external fuel tank first spin ?
      UKJULES
      ---------------------------------
      Owner of following bikes:
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Hey guys. Finally had time and decided to do the valve adjustment again. I received the tappet style feeler gauge and it is easier to use. Should there be any play between the cam and the tappet? I can move the tappet up and down. Should the tappet be flush against the cam and then I adjust from that?

Comment

alright. so I finished the valve clearances again and it is still very hard to start. I haven't been able to start it since finishing up. Could the bike be getting too little air?

Comment

alright. so I finished the valve clearances again and it is still very hard to start. I haven't been able to start it since finishing up. Could the bike be getting too little air?
            Doubtful, air gets in really easily. It could be getting too much fuel, though. When you crank it for a while without success does it cough and try to run or is it just dead? Have you pulled a plug or two after cranking to see if they are wet? Have you tried with the petcock on the prime position instead of main?

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

If it starts easily and normally when it is warm then it does not sound like a fuel related issue.

When cold and you motor it, does it turn over easily? If not the check your timing.

If you still think it is a fuel related problem try an external fuel tank, this removes one more item for systematic trouble shooting.
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                Doubtful, air gets in really easily. It could be getting too much fuel, though. When you crank it for a while without success does it cough and try to run or is it just dead? Have you pulled a plug or two after cranking to see if they are wet? Have you tried with the petcock on the prime position instead of main?

Mark
                If your exhausts smell like gasoline after a few unsuccessful tries (stick your nose down there), you're getting too much fuel.

Also, I think it's time for methodic approach. A few possible causes (and remedies) for your issue have been mentioned already, I suggest crossing them off one by one.
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

yes it tries and coughs like it wants to start. I have not pulled the plugs and look at them. I have tried petcock on prime and it seems to be getting fuel fine. How should the coils be plugged in? I have the left coil going to cylinder 1 and 3. Right coil on cylinder 2 and 4. Also, if I am getting too much fuel, how do I lessen it? Only with the fuel mixture screws right?

Comment

Sounds like you have the plug wires crossed.
                    Left coil-o/w + w-cylinders 1+4
                    Right coil-o/w + b/y-cylinders 2+3
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for that info. I've corrected the plug wires. So it does matter where the orange/white and black/yellow wires go? Also does it matter if they are switched in a different terminal on the coil?

Comment

Thanks for that info. I've corrected the plug wires. So it does matter where the orange/white and black/yellow wires go? Also does it matter if they are switched in a different terminal on the coil?
                        O/W go to the +ve terminals on the coils and B/Y and W go to the -ve terminals.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Damn good info to know. I've scanned the manual for that information but couldn't find anything on it. I will check that later and confirm it. Thanks a bunch

Comment

If it runs fine after you do get it started then I doubt your wires are crossed.
                            Have you done a compression test? How many miles are on it?

Comment

Nope. Thanks for the advice but still have a very hard time to start. Even checked the ignition system again. Full voltage at the coils. Pulled the plugs and got good spark on each one. Plugs in 1 and 4 are a bit white and plugs in 2 and 3 are a bit black

Comment

Working...
                              X