81 GS450EX maintenance before long road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450EX maintenance before long road trip

I have less than 25K on the bike, bike sat for 4 years, then before that 16 years. Crankcase is clean, no metal in oil. Runs very good. What I have done so far

brakes, fuel system(tank clean, new lines), sparks, cosmetics, adjustments throttle/clutch/brakes, battery, tires, electrical. What I know needs to be done

Intake boots(bolts/clamps/orings too), complete carb clean/rebuild(bolt swap as well), airbox boots, valve adjustment, fork oil change out, new rear shocks, new chain.

Pretty much sums up a fun weekend. I am also looking to put a Slipstreamer windshield on the bike.

Shocks - progressive or hagon... are there any others? 6' 200lbs. Ill also be putting travel/camping gear on the back, I have a Kuryakyn GranTour bag...anyone know of any bolt on saddle bags that would fit? The bike has a sissy bar backrest.

I have been told once I have the new boots, chain and valves done....should be good to go for the ride.

add: no oil leaks, doesn't burn oil, timing is solid, compression solid, transmission/clutch good, steering and wheel bearings solid. Did a 200 mile ride with no issues.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2017, 07:00 PM.

This should maybe be in the Twins column, but that's not my department.

Replacing the boots is definitely a good move if they're getting tired, but what is wrong with the ones you have? Usually you can just do the o rings and carry on. If the bike runs well, there's no point in 'rebuilding' the carbs and you might just end up with more problems than you had to start with. The vacuum fuel tap is usually more problematic than the carbs.

The thing most likely to leave you stranded is the charging system. Switching to a series regulator such as the Shindengen SH775 is the first thing I'd do, along with a check of the stator and the battery condition.

I've been running GS850 shocks [bolt on] which are a bit firm, but set full soft they are okay for someone 200 lbs and luggage. GS650G shocks may fit also. ??
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Second the charging system upgrade.
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Looks like you're covered well.

As said, consider changing the R/R. As for the boots, since you're doing a carb rebuild anyway it can't hurt to replace them, but it might be not necessary; I'm sure you're aware of the starter fluid method to check for leaks?
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

+1 on the charging system upgrade or at least get rid of the headlight loop in the R/R if you haven't already. Posplayr has the quick test in his sig.

Also, make sure you have everything tightened up after going through it before you leave! I went on a trip on my 450 a couple years ago and after replacing the clutch cable didn't tighten up the 12mm on the shifter. I went to shift a couple hours later and it wasn't there...

Where are you going/how long? I love my GS450 and think doing longer trips on the smaller bikes is really fun.
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

The R/R ground on the 450 is horrible. I'd fix that for sure and consider rewiring the charging system to eliminate the stator loop up to the hand control. Installing a SH775 wouldn't hurt as the others have said but I'd tend to the other two things first.

How long of a trip are you planning? If it's longer than 2000 miles I'd recommend using synthetic oil since it breaks down slower.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would also consider replacing the sprockets with your chain.
              1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
              1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                I would also consider replacing the sprockets with your chain.
                +1 on replacing the sprockets along with the chain. They wear together and if the chain is worn then the sprockets are usually out of spec as well.
                http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

too many to quote....

Yes 4T racing synthetic already in, Yes sprockets with chain, Yes R/R already done along with new ground and battery cables, Yes boots have too many leaks and one is just ready to fall apart...did the temp fix, new ones on order. Carbs need cleaned out badly, PO did the carbs before tank was cleaned...nuff said there.

ride distance, 2000 miles round trip in July

Thanks for the input.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Where are you going? I'll be on a similar trip around then.
                    1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                      Where are you going? I'll be on a similar trip around then.

looking to make it from Orlando to Sturgis, KY for the rally.

Comment

Hi
                        I've got an '85 400e, I took her on a 5000km adventure ( 3000mile ) trip in northern ontario a couple years ago. Ran into a bunch of fun issues so I'll list them and I think you could gain some benefit from the experience.
                        First thing to go was the starter solenoid,went through two cheap tractor solenoids over the course of the trip. Next I had overheating problems due to jetting and got stranded in some really hot weather.
                        Later my old chain snapped on me, thank god for the chain cover and catcher, also broke the clutch push rod and oil seal. Ended up replacing sprockets and chain but I see you've done that.
                        After switching the chain I failed to torque to sprocket nut and lost it doing some off roading! As a result the chain ended up eating through my clutch cable linkage so I had to replace all that.
                        Then I had electrical problems already mentioned, R/R went and fried the stator and the battery. Got a new R/R but the bad stator killed it soon after I got home. Note I did have the mutiple ground, headlight loop and coil loop.
                        I'm also 6'4" 200lb but I enjoy the little bike, I built some brackets bolted to the frame to keep my saddlebags from hitting my rear tire.

Planning another trip in August and redoing the harness with the new R/R, fresh stator and battery.

Also my horn died, it sucked anyways but dangerous not to have one.

Hope you have a great trip
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2017, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uladimir View Post
                          Hi
                          I've got an '85 400e, I took her on a 5000km adventure ( 3000mile ) trip in northern ontario a couple years ago. Ran into a bunch of fun issues so I'll list them and I think you could gain some benefit from the experience.
                          First thing to go was the starter solenoid,went through two cheap tractor solenoids over the course of the trip. Next I had overheating problems due to jetting and got stranded in some really hot weather.
                          Later my old chain snapped on me, thank god for the chain cover and catcher, also broke the clutch push rod and oil seal. Ended up replacing sprockets and chain but I see you've done that.
                          After switching the chain I failed to torque to sprocket nut and lost it doing some off roading! As a result the chain ended up eating through my clutch cable linkage so I had to replace all that.
                          Then I had electrical problems already mentioned, R/R went and fried the stator and the battery. Got a new R/R but the bad stator killed it soon after I got home. Note I did have the mutiple ground, headlight loop and coil loop.
                          I'm also 6'4" 200lb but I enjoy the little bike, I built some brackets bolted to the frame to keep my saddlebags from hitting my rear tire.

Planning another trip in August and redoing the harness with the new R/R, fresh stator and battery.

Also my horn died, it sucked anyways but dangerous not to have one.

Hope you have a great trip
                          Thanks,

I bought a cheap R/R that I keep as an emergency spare, went with x-ring chain (waiting to install sprockets and chain until a month before trip) , my clutch push-rod seal and shift seal I will be replacing at the next oil change..swaping out bolts to ss socket caps.. no better time to do it. We will only be traveling about 200 miles at the most per day other than the first two days and last two days at about 400 each day. Not trying to marathon day trip and there will be several stops. All my luggage will be in the car following me lol...along with some tools, spare parts, oil filter, oil, permatex, etc. Doing a seat mod with 5/8" thick gel pad this weekend...going to cure the saggy seat issue. Hagon shocks will be here this week. 90% done with my Pre-list.. putting new handlebar and grips on next weekend as well. The OEM is just too rusty. At 6' 210lbs, it will be just me and the bike, no bags, other than recent issues with carb adjustments all is going well.

Thanks again for the insight.

Comment

Working...
                          X