'80 GS1000G Clutch Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS1000G Clutch Installation

Just replaced the steels, fibers, and springs on my younger bro's '80 GS1000G. Problem after all went back together was the clutch lever went all the way in with little resistance. Pull everything apart to compare to fiche diagram, and everything looks right.

So, I'm thinking it's an adjustment issue, or how I have that clutch mount cable attached to the top of the clutch cover. Are you supposed to have the clutch spline (for lack of a better word) turned towards the engine when I put the clutch cable on, or do I turn it towards me? I know it sounds goofy, but I think it matters, and it's what my issue is . . . Any help?

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
    Just replaced the steels, fibers, and springs on my younger bro's '80 GS1000G. Problem after all went back together was the clutch lever went all the way in with little resistance. Pull everything apart to compare to fiche diagram, and everything looks right.

So, I'm thinking it's an adjustment issue, or how I have that clutch mount cable attached to the top of the clutch cover. Are you supposed to have the clutch spline (for lack of a better word) turned towards the engine when I put the clutch cable on, or do I turn it towards me? I know it sounds goofy, but I think it matters, and it's what my issue is . . . Any help?
    MySpaceBarisnotworking

Comment

Comment

That amount of play looks normal. The spline shaft should be all the way anticlockwise. Align the lever to be perpendicular to the cable. It won't be perfect, so I'd favor slightly outboard if you have to choose. That will give a you a few % less pull at the lever to hold the clutch in at stops. Not that it should be a problem if you put stock parts in, but every little bit helps, right?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I'm going upto my storage tomorrow, and I'll look at my other GS's to see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks dofofor the reply. When I have it installed, the clutch lever being pulled-in, feels like it's not doing anything.

Comment

I placed some comments on your youtube video.

Comment

Working...
            X