Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fitting Luggage - Frame variances between GS550E and GS850...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fitting Luggage - Frame variances between GS550E and GS850...

Hi, I have a 1982 GS550E UK spec.

I have acquired a Sigma (UK made) period luggage set (two panniers and a top box), complete with mounting bracket. These came from a similar ages GS850. I love these because they look the part, are hard, and have been tested watertight.

Now, the mounting bracket has three retaining mounts on each side. the top two fit perfectly on both side, and the rack is the right width, however the mounts that bolt onto the rear (pillion) passengers footrest bracket wont fit. In fact the bracket is too long by about 1 and a 1/2 inches.

So, I suppose my question (apologies for being dumb), is whether the Gs550 and GS850 had diffrent sized frames? Or did they have different mounting brackets for the rear passenger footrests?

I'm wondering how to overcome this issue and wanted to seek your thoughts before I start chopping the luggage rack!

Cheers, Luke

1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

You can scale a picture to any size you want, but yes, the 850 frame was noticeably larger than the 500.

If it is a steel arm that is too long, how about taking it to a welding shop (the bike and the frame), then have them cut the arm to size and weld it into place.

Shouldn't cost too much, and it will be done right.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, really useful to see these pictures!

Comment

Yes, the pictures are decent, but I did not post them. I don't have a 550 handy to get some dimensions, but I know from working on them that the 650 is somewhat similar to a 550. Just sold a 650 that has been in the family for about 15 years, and still have two 850s, so I can tell you for certain that you WILL need to make some adapters or have some brackets cut and welded to adapt 850 accessories onto a 550.

Pictures will be mandatory, of course.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X