Removing old rubber grommet/seal from aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing old rubber grommet/seal from aluminum

As I am reassembling my engine, I decided to replace the kick starter shaft grommet/seal in the clutch cover. I thought I could just pop out the old one and install the new one. But the old grommet is frozen onto the aluminum cover. In hindsight, I should have re-used to old grommet as I had no leaks from it. But since I already tore it trying to get it out, I have to finish removing it. Due to its shape and location, I have no more mechanical options (razor, thin screwdriver, or even a pin can't get into the area where the hardened grommet sits).

I did some googling and found two general options: using chemicals to eat away at it or a flame to melt/burn it. I just bought some acetone and a propane torch. I'm really scared of using heat to melt it even though I've read several suggestions about it. The guy at the auto repair shop up the street suggested too and he's helped me out with random things in the past so I trust his opinion.

What would you guys suggest to remove this 40 year old rubber grommet without harming the cover?
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Heat is a very effective tool and does no damage if applied carefully.

I used to force oil seals from front fork legs, making marks on the outer
    rings and bending screwdrivers or using pry bars in the process.
    Lots of force.

I discovered a few seconds of a small torch applied to the seals makes them real
    supple and i can remove them with the smallest screwdriver with ease.

So i would prefer heat over chemicals.

But since it's real easy to remove the clutch cover and a new gasket is cheap,
    why would you not go that way ?
    That would make removing the old seal and installing the new one a simple job.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I seem to dimly recall that the seal installs from the back; you have to remove the clutch cover to replace the seal.

However, that's a vague and unreliable memory from long, long ago. Apologies in advance if that is incorrect or doesn't explain your trouble...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Still struggling with this. I've tried heat several times and was able to scrape more of the old grommet out but what remains is like petrified rubber.

I gave it one more shot this evening. I'm ready to spend the money on a used one on Ebay. Here's pic of what I'm dealing with.

20170809_183915.jpg

And a link to the only cover I could on Ebay without the grommet.

Looks to me like he Dremeled out that dark colored ridge you can see in my pic. Or is that supposed to come out? I haven't try to pull the ridge out with a needle nose. Any thoughts?
        Last edited by hannibal; 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
        Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

if you place the new seal on top of the old one, does it fit inside that ridge ?
          Using a small screwdriver and drive it into the old seal, can you deform it so it bends inwards ?
          Last edited by Rijko; 08-09-2017, 07:47 PM.
          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

Comment

Inside the ridge is tremendously thin. Can't fit a razor in there since it's so thin and curved. I've been using a push pin to scrape the old gasket away. I'm going try to pull that ridge out but 99% sure it's part if the cover.

With the 1 exception I posted above, every clutch cover I've seen on Ebay has the old grommet installed. Leads me to believe I should have never touched it. Haven't seen a person on the forum who's replaced it.

Forgot the pic. New gasket sitting where it should go once the old one is gone.

20170809_213647.jpg
            Last edited by hannibal; 08-09-2017, 09:50 PM. Reason: Pic
            Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

sorry for my earlier post making it sound easy to remove, but i did replace one decades ago and it was so unimpressively easy to do i forgot how i did it. I was lucky.
              Maybe your old seal rotted to the cover, po superglued it, it seems yours is badly stuck.

Looking at the pic, the new seal cannot be fitted with the ridge in place.
              Is that ridge made of aluminium ?
              If the ridge is that thin and curved, it cannot be part of the aluminium clutch cover.
              It looks like it is the metal body part of the old oil seal and should come out.
              If you can scrape rubber from the seal and uncover more of the ridge, that confirms it. Looks like the bottom of the seal still has rubber on the ridge.

Maybe using a large screwdriver you can drive it out by going in through the tunnel and tapping it outwards.
              Cover upside down on the workbench, supported by wood so the seal has room to come out. Extra pair of hands to hold the cover. Use a big flat tip, a small screwdriver will go through the ridge and shear it off.
              Drive the tip through the rubber so you hit the ridge properly, tap it a few times, move the tip half an inch and repeat. Circle the ridge that way and hopefully it comes out.
              I think that's how i did it back then.
              Last edited by Rijko; 08-10-2017, 07:21 AM.
              Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

Comment

I think the ridge is supppsed to be there. The seal is U shaped in profile and I believe it goes in with the U shape facing toward the motor and sits over the ridge. With that said, the only pic of the cover that I've seen with the seal has no ridge.

Also the new seal has a metallic ring in the bottom of the U. I'm beginning to think the ridge I described was part of the old seal and the metallic ring in the new seal replaces the old ridge. I've already butchered this cover trying to remove the old seal. I brought the cover with me to work today. Gonna try to remove that ring when I get some time.

There are some decent used covers on Ebay dor $20-30. At this point, I'm just gonna buy one and hope the seal is in decent shape. I just wanna get back on the road.
                Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I am so freaking stupid. I just put together a motor from bare cases but couldn't figure out how to remove a rubber seal. One tap and the ridge fell out. Will post a pic in a moment. Thanks for talking me through it Rijko!

Canceling happy hour plans and putting my baby back together as soon as I get home!
                  Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Pic. Can't believe I wasted 2 weeks on this!
                    20170810_093458.jpg
                    Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

haha just see it as a learning experience, we have all been there.

Great you got it out !!
                      Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

Comment

oh, and you can use the old seal on top of the new one to gently tap it in, less chance of damaging the new seal that way.

And make the shaft and oil seal nice and wet with engine oil before mounting the cover back on. That prevents damage to the seal dry mounting sometimes causes.
                        Last edited by Rijko; 08-10-2017, 11:00 AM.
                        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

Comment

Working...
                        X