Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost battery terminal nut somewhere on bike

Hey all,

I've been trying to get my bike (first one) started for a couple days now. Good news is: I figured out the problem! It was the battery, and I have a new one on the way.

Bad news is: I dropped a battery terminal nut somewhere while installing the charged faulty battery. I spent at least an hour looking all over for it, I'm convinced it's somewhere on the motorcycle. From what I can tell, the worst case scenario is it fell in this hole that the filtered air gets sucked into:

IMG_2366.jpg

I looked in there best I could, but saw nothing. I rocked the bike around, but have found nothing. Finally, I had enough and tried to start the bike. I was pleased I got it running, and I didn't hear it rattling around, but I'm fearful that somehow the nut got into the carburetor or something and will somehow wreak havoc.

Again, I'm new to motorcycles and mechanics, so my question is: Am I justified in being nervous about using the motorcycle and not finding this nut?

Sure seems like you'd have to fling it into that intake, rather than simply dropping it.
    What bike is that? Airboxes come off, just remove it and shake it around. Maybe tie a magnet to a string and go fishing.
    If it is in there its pretty heavy to get sucked in. More likely on the bottom of the air box I'd think.

When you put the new battery in, snip a tuny piece of hose, battery vent hose or vacuum hose, and stuff it under the nut. It'll keep it in place.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

You don't say what model bike you have and so I'll just make an assumption here. I would check very carefully around the chain, on top of and in between the swingarm and the frame, inside the wiring area.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My apologies guys, it's a 1982 GS750T.

This is driving me nuts, I'm going to go to Advanced Auto Parts tomorrow morning to grab a telescoping magnet. Do you think turning the motorcycle on and revving it could've caused the nut to get sucked in?

Comment

Originally posted by spaceghost View Post
          Do you think turning the motorcycle on and revving it could've caused the nut to get sucked in?
          No.

The nut is probably wedged in a nook in the frame somewhere.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by spaceghost View Post
            My apologies guys, it's a 1982 GS750T.
            If I may recommend, please put this information into your signature so you don't have to remember to tell us every time you ask a question about it
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If the nut got sucked into the actual intake you would definitely know.
              1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
              1977 GS550
              1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

But the chance of that happening is somewhere between ZERO and NONE.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've found small parts stuck in and around the cooling fins, the channel at the back of the engine under the long engine mount bolt, just sitting beside the starter motor cover, and many other places. I'm sure a couple had been there through a few previous owners.

I've also managed to find one or two nuts, springs, and sorts a long way away from where they were dropped (like 5 feet outside the garage door), so there is a chance it got away. If not, I wouldn't fret. There's no chance it ended up in the top end of your engine, and there are no openings to allow it into the bottom end.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Tried again last night to find it with a telescoping magnet, no luck.

I'm just going to try to forget about it and move on with my life. Thank you all for easing my mind.

Comment

As Cowboy suggested, a check around the chain and sprockets and go for a ride.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

You may or may not ever find it, but sometimes it will show up when you are working on another problem.
                        1981 GS 1000GLX.
                        1981 GS 1000G.
                        1981 GS 650GLX.
                        1975 TS 185.
                        1972 100. Kawasaki.
                        1968 100. Suzuki.
                        1970 Z 50. Honda.
                        1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                        1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Just a thought, the nuts used on batteries are usually not ferrous metal and would not attach to a magnet anyway.

I agree that you will find it when you stop looking for it or when working on something else and if it went into the airbox it will stay there and not be a risk to the engine.
                          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                            Just a thought, the nuts used on batteries are usually not ferrous metal and would not attach to a magnet anyway.

I agree that you will find it when you stop looking for it or when working on something else and if it went into the airbox it will stay there and not be a risk to the engine.
                            Sorry but I had to try and yep, my nuts are ferrous!

Well, uh...the battery from Batteries Plus has them that is.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              I've found small parts stuck in and around the cooling fins, the channel at the back of the engine under the long engine mount bolt, just sitting beside the starter motor cover, and many other places. I'm sure a couple had been there through a few previous owners.

I've also managed to find one or two nuts, springs, and sorts a long way away from where they were dropped (like 5 feet outside the garage door), so there is a chance it got away. If not, I wouldn't fret. There's no chance it ended up in the top end of your engine, and there are no openings to allow it into the bottom end.
                              It's sometimes shocking how far..... or how near parts can fall and travel.
                              I was gifted by the PO with an errant screw...... in cylinder 3 (I hadn't had the plugs out yet) shockingly, I rode about 4000 miles before it finally lodged under an intake valve and bent it.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X