Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Fluids (Oil?) From Bottom Front Area

Hi all,

I've made a few posts recently regarding the 1982 Suzuki GS750T I've been working on, my first bike.

It ran the day I got it, but suddenly stopped running the next day. I did a bunch of stuff to it including changing the spark plugs, replacing the oil/gas, changing the air/oil filter, and finally replacing the battery. Replacing the battery is what actually got it starting up again, and now it's running great as far as I know!

There is however, one issue. I notice the bike leaking fluid (oil I believe) after I get back from riding it. I took a video:

I'm not really mechanically inclined, doing what I had mentioned previously is the extent of my mechanical experience. I do however have the manual for the bike and a mean socket wrench set. Any tips on how I can fix this?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Find out where the leak is coming from and fix it. Any other questions?

And check your charging system!
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Spray some engine degreaser on the bottom of the engine; and of course everywhere else there's oil residue. That's the only way you'll find the source of the leak. My initial thought is you probably need to replace the gasket around the oil pan. But the leak could also be coming from on top.

Your pipes look like mine did before I replaced them with 4-1 system. It was when the pipes were removed when you can take the oil pan off.

Park it for a little while and clean as much of the oil as you can. You might find more leaks...but let's hope not.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Find out where the leak is coming from and fix it. Any other questions?

And check your charging system!
        Smart-@ss! Nice to see your sense of humour shining through, though.

That's a pretty (un) healthy drip. As the two Eds have already said, clean it up and find the leak. It could be coming from anywhere, including the valve cover gasket. Hopefully it isn't the base gasket
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

If this leak is new the prime suspects are the things you touched like the oil filter seal.
          There is a big drip from the bottom cap nut at about 45% of the way through the footage.
          Clean it all off and see where it starts from.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I think that leak is big enough to where you should be able to find it fairly easily. But it's easier to locate on an otherwise clean engine after you remove the oil residue. And you can't do after you ride, the wind will blow it all over the place. I had a leak on a GS1100 that I swore was from my cam chain tensioner, but it was a leaky valve cover gasket, blew back on the cam chain tensioner and dripped off from there. How many cam chain tensioner did I replace, like 4.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

this is where I would start, easy to bug up the seal, and old or aftermarket ones are suspect.
              Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              If this leak is new the prime suspects are the things you touched like the oil filter seal.
              There is a big drip from the bottom cap nut at about 45% of the way through the footage.
              Clean it all off and see where it starts from.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
              X