Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come a long way, but still a few issues left. Any tips on power issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've come a long way, but still a few issues left. Any tips on power issues?

Hey guys.

I just want to start off by saying that without all you fine people here I wouldn't have made it nearly as far as I have now.

Now the bike turns on, it idles nicely! I can actually ride the thing!

I have a few issues left like the speedometer just stopped working, the tachometer will every once in a while go crazy before going back to normal, and I have oil leaks (which I think is coming from the exhaust heads).

But it idles nicely!!! I'm so happy.

---------------------------------Actual problem statement vvv-------------------------------------------------------

The bike seems to be inconsistent with how much power its putting out. A few days ago (on Sunday) it was really pulling, which I think is how it should be feeling. Nice power at all rpms. However, yesterday and today the bike is more......anemic. I have hills everywhere, so power differences is noticeable. It just isn't pushing as hard. It makes me think maybe one cylinder isn't even running? (Is there a way to tell?). I'm gonna check the spark plugs again and the coils.

However, I don't actually understand how to test the coils. Where do I put the leads? My coils look like this.

I want to follow all the advice, but I can't visualize where you guys are testing it. (Do I need to open it up?)

So after coils, what can cause this issue? Can a bad ignitor do that?

Again, thanks for everything you guys have done!

edit:
    Things that I have don
    New intake and air boots
    Carbs dipped and cleaned, new orings
    Petcock cleaned
    Gaskets for various areas replaced
    Valves adjusted (one is slightly out of spec, due to the shim I needed being out of stock)
    Electrical wired fixed/cleaned/etc.
    R/R replaced

I think that is most of the big stuff?

P.S: You guys know anyone that has an airbox for a 1982 GS450L? Part number 13700-44102
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2017, 09:35 PM.

Valve adjust?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Valve adjust?
      Oh yea, forgot to mention already did that. Only one valve is slightly out of spec because the shim I needed was out of stock, so I went with the next closest shim. Thanks for reminding that I need to change that out :P

But I don't think that would cause the power loss I'm having?

Also, this was happening earlier this year as well, but once the boots were replaced it seemed the power came back.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

This is a 450, correct? so crossing out the obvious off the list, With two cylinders, one missing is really noticeable. unlikely Coils/ignition aren't going to fail just "uphill" unless- idea-advance mechanism is stuck but this'd be noticeable all the time..level or uphill)

You could try: inorder of my ideas of probability:
        -read Manual! troubleshooting section per "loss of power" if it has this.... Sometimes this will kick a neuron into place.
        -recheck for possible airleaks as that was what did it before.
        -try those hills again with fuel tap to prime.
        -Carb synch comes to mind...carb synch is a very slight adjustment from a bench synch (=where both butterflies very nearly close exactly together)
        -Diagphragms/ and "slides" of CV carbs ..well, when I fiddle with carbs I like to see them all operate exactly the same as to drop speed when their port is plugged with a finger
        -plug chop immediately after symptom? it seems a good diagnostic if done right...I think you need new plugs and to put them in at the bottom of a hill when bike is warmed up.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I'm going through the electrical system right now. After I'm done with that I'll try the other things you mentioned!

edit: I don't mean that it only happens uphill. Just that the hills make it very noticeable that its barely getting by.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Ignitor box going bad? Just another idea.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              Ignitor box going bad? Just another idea.
              Could a weak spark have the symptom of power loss? Maybe it wasn't firing every cycle?

I just replaced the spark plug caps and cleaned up all the wires, and fixed some frayed wires. Sparks are now really big, way stronger than before. Makes me realize how weak they were before.

Waiting for all the electric cleaner to dry off before trying it out.

Comment

Working...
              X