GS850G mirrors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G mirrors...

Hey all. I went for a short ride this evening and noticed for the first time that the image in the right hand mirror looks noticeably closer than the one in the left hand mirror (yes - just like the right hand mirror on all cars these days). As far as I can tell, they are both OEM mirrors. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also - whether that is normal or not, I think I want to get a set of the rectangular mirrors that I've seen on a few of y'alls bikes. I'm sure they have more surface area than the stock round ones. Is there any consensus about which ones I want? Is there such a thing as a stock, genuine Suzuki rectangular mirror that works well on an 850G?

Don't know of any from a GS, but I really enjoyed the ones that came on my KZ1300.

I have found that convex mirrors work better on a bike. For one thing, they give a larger field of view. For another, if they do vibrate a bit, it's not as noticeable as with a flat mirror.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Don't know of any from a GS, but I really enjoyed the ones that came on my KZ1300.

I have found that convex mirrors work better on a bike. For one thing, they give a larger field of view. For another, if they do vibrate a bit, it's not as noticeable as with a flat mirror.
      So.....

1) I could expand my search to KX1300 mirrors?
      2) it IS possible that I have one flat and one convex mirror?

Comment

Most people just browse through the hundreds of aftermarket mirrors available and pick out something they like. Or visit a motorcycle boneyard and poke around until you find a decent set -- as long as they're not from a Yamaha, mirrors from just about any Japanese bike will work. (Yamahas use a left-hand thread on one side.)

You could peruse the fiches for later model Suzukis if you really want new OEM rectangular mirrors. Look on the "handlebar" diagram.

The 1983 850GL, for example, had rectangular mirrors, but they're NLA and the stems are quite short.

Just to pick a bike at random (I used to have one) the 1991 VX800 has rectangular mirrors and longer stems, and the original part number is still available for under $50 each.
        Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 800-595-4063

When you're looking at OEM fiches, make sure the part number has not been superceded.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

a thing to note scrapyard/aftermarket though - Yamaha mirrors have anti-clockwise thread on right- hand mirror...if I have it correct...idea being that mirror unwinds and loosens if you smack it, I was told!

Comment

Working...
          X