Haynes or Clymer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haynes or Clymer?

Which one would you go with for a GS550L, and why? I'm familiar with Haynes for cars and trucks, but don't know if they change format for bikes, or if Clymer has more or less info. I get the Manuela for my vehicles any time I can. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I've never had both for the same vehicle to do a direct comparison, but the Haynes manuals just feel more useful to me. Sometimes they offer techniques using standard tools where the factory service manual tells you to use their specialty tool which is no longer being produced.

Comment

Only use the factory manual

Comment

That tells me what I need to know. Getting the carbs off my 550 are going to be difficult enough without having to try to find a special tool. Not sure what all is bad in the carbs, but I know the float bowl gasket is shot on 3 of them. Have a full set of o-rings ordered, gaskets and manuel where next on the list.

Comment

Get the factory Suzuki manual. You can get used copies off ebay. Be careful to get the proper manual for you bike. Suzuki sold a base manual for 1977 and then each year they released a supplement. You can buy the complete package, including all the supplements, but they are harder to find. A lot of the manuals on ebay are just the supplements too, not the complete manual. Be careful to get the right thing.

Last edited by Nessism; 08-02-2017, 09:39 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Trilug View Post
            Which one would you go with for a GS550L, and why?
            Use the factory service manual. Download it here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Only use the factory manual
            +1. Even if I have to pay for it I always have the factory manual for my bikes.

Getting the carbs off my 550 are going to be difficult enough without having to try to find a special tool.
            Why would you need a special tool to take your carbs off?

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Does this help? GS550 factory service manual:

Comment

Haynes or Clymer?
                Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
                I've never had both for the same vehicle to do a direct comparison, but the Haynes manuals just feel more useful to me.
                There may be differences from one bike model to another as to which one might be better, but I have the pleasure of having all three for my 850s.

For the 850, there are a couple of items where one or the other might show a different angle on a photo or maybe explain how to make a special tool to do the job, but overall, the factory manual is the best and most accurate.

For the 850, I prefer, in order: Suzuki, Clymer, Haynes. Your bike's manuals might have a different order.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  For the 850, there are a couple of items where one or the other might show a different angle on a photo or maybe explain how to make a special tool to do the job, but overall, the factory manual is the best and most accurate.

For the 850, I prefer, in order: Suzuki, Clymer, Haynes. Your bike's manuals might have a different order..
                  +1 Factory manual rules but there's good information in both the Clymer and Haynes manuals which isn't in the others.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Get the factory service manual.

Comment

All the above.

All the manuals suck, but they suck in slightly different ways. By using all the sources of information, you can often get a much better understanding of the project at hand.

The factory manuals are full of illuminating statements like "use Suzuki SST (special service tool) GRZ7865544341111-009 to remove the flimmert from the gubbin" with absolutely no explanation or photo of what this tool does. And the blurry blobs that pass for photos in the various pirated PDFs aren't much help -- it's well worth getting an actual legal printed manual if it's available.

Haynes or Clymer (Haynes, on average, usually sucks a little less, but it's close) will often have some way to make or adapt a tool or some workaround. And sometimes they'll have photos from different angles that help you sort out what the hell is happening (I swear, some of the photographers had a genius for capturing the exact wrong angle...). Sometimes the aftermarket manuals have information on workarounds that can save a lot of time and trouble.

One caution is that all the manuals, including the factory manuals, are shot through with random errors, both subtle and obvious. Suspect everything. This can really get you in trouble with torque values. Don't just read the torque value and start cranking -- do a sanity check. Does the torque value make sense for the fastener size, grade, and materials? Did they do the conversion from Newton-Meters to Foot-pounds correctly? Do the other manuals have the same value? Understand that bolts are sized by the threads, not the wrench size (a bolt that takes a 10mm wrench is most likely a 6mm bolt), and memorize the likely ranges you'll encounter.

One good source for manuals:
                      RepairManual.com is an Authorized Reseller of Clymer and Haynes ATV, motorcycle and scooter repair manuals. We buy and sell both new and used Suzuki OEM service workshop manuals, Suzuki parts manual and Suzuki owners manuals. RepairManual.com has the Clymer, Haynes and OEM Suzuki manual you need to properly repair, service and maintain your Suzuki ATV, Suzuki Motorcycle or Suzuki Scooter. Would you want a doctor working on you who wasn’t sure how to do the surgery but thought he could figure it out? Of course not! So don’t take chances with your Suzuki – get the Suzuki repair information you need and get the job done right with RepairManual.com In many cases we also stock ATV and motorcycle spark plugs, motorcycle oil filters, motorcycle brake pads, brake shoes and motorcycle gasket kits for your Suzuki ATV, motorcycle or scooter.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 08-04-2017, 09:50 AM.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        I swear, some of the photographers had a genius for capturing the exact wrong angle...
                        And then there's the ever popular rusty bracket mounted with rusty bolts to a rusty frame photographed in front of a rusty background. You can see the mechanic's wrench, but he might as well be digging in the desert with it for all the detail you can see.

Comment

Working...
                        X