X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which model GS750? B,C,D,E?

Hi Guys.

Sorry for this total newbie question.

I have a gs750 from 1978, but I´m unsure if the model is a A,B,C,D...?

How do I figure this out? I´m asking because I'm trying to find new bolts for the stator cover( Its leaking oil from the bottom bolthole).

the chassisnumber is key.

This should help you determine the model : http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/su...-nos/page2.gif

If it's a 1978 model, it's a C or EC, which use the same screws.

Partslist here : http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...VER/parts.html
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Bosteen View Post
      Hi Guys.

Sorry for this total newbie question.

I have a gs750 from 1978, but I´m unsure if the model is a A,B,C,D...?

How do I figure this out? I´m asking because I'm trying to find new bolts for the stator cover( Its leaking oil from the bottom bolthole).
      Those bolts will be the same size on anything from 1979 and before.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thank you both. That helped a lot.

Comment

Is this a common occurrence...ie. leaking from the bottom bolt hole on the stator cover. Mine looks like its leaking there as well. Will put some powder on it first to ensure its coming from there. Where have these leaks been coming from? The gasket or cracks in casing or somehow from the bolt hole itself?
          Thanks

Comment

could be a damaged cover but that's not a typical weak point.
            The bottom bolt hole location is typical though - especially standing on the side
            stand oil leaks from head gasket, bottom gasket etc will flow to that
            point.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Those letters are not "model" numbers. There is no such thing as a GS1000B. The letters are part of the VIN and designate the year. For the early 2-valve models there are E, EN, G, GK, L and S models. (as far as I know.)
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

This always confused me because there is no A model and I have the first year GS750, i.e the B
                1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                1977 GS550
                1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                  Those letters are not "model" numbers. There is no such thing as a GS1000B.
                  True, there is not a GS1000B, but there is a GS1000C. If you had the "E" model of the same year (1978), it would be a GS1000EC.

The letters are part of the VIN and designate the year.
                  Very true. About the only people that understand that final letter are some of the parts monkeys behind the counters and the denizens of GSR.

For the early 2-valve models there are E, EN, G, GK, L and S models. (as far as I know.)
                  Well, yes and no, Rich. That "N" in the "EN" just says that it's a 1979 E.
                  - The "E" was a gussied-up version of the 'basic' bike, which had no letter. The E added cast wheels, some had auto-cancel turn signals and other features.
                  - The "G" was the shaft-driven version, which started with the 850 in 1979, making it a GS850GN.
                  - The "L" version was the chopper wanna-be that was rather popular at the time. It had leading-axle forks that gave the illusion of a raked front end, smaller 'peanut' gas tank, chrome fenders, stepped seat and shorter mufflers, all for the chopper look. The chain-driven models had the "L" at the end of the badge. The shaft-driven models also had just the L on the badge, but were more-properly called "GL". If you wanted to go a step farther, the 1980 850L should be properly addressed as a GS850GLT. Calling it a 1980 GS850GLT would be redundant.
                  - The "GK" was a fully-dressed touring bike based on the 1100G. Suzuki was having some difficulties with the design of the Cavalcade, which was meant to compete with the Honda Goldwing, so they tossed some touring equipment on the 1100 and called it good for a few years while they finalized the Cavalcade.
                  - The "S" model was sort of designed to resemble the championship winning bike that Wes Cooley rode for two years. If I remember correctly, Suzuki never marketed it as a Cooley Replica, the fans called it that.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

FYI, the screw part numbers will tell you the dimensions. For example, that bottom bolt has part number 02112-06357 so it's an M6x35mm screw.
                    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                    X