Should I heli-coil all my cam bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I heli-coil all my cam bolts?

My gs1100 head had about 5 stripped holes that I just repaired with a heli coil kit. I used drill press to drill holes and so the inserts went in perfect. The rest of the holes are still in about 90% good condition but since the head is off the bike would it be good to just heli-coil them all? I have seen some companies selling brand new aluminum parts that all the holes allready have heli-coil in them. Trying to do a heli-coil on the bike is hard to do without going in crooked. Thanks

It makes sense to me -- whoever over-torqued the stripped holes likely over-torqued all of them. It's quite likely all the threads are damaged to some degree.

I'd see what the guys with more racing and tuning experience say.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well I went ahead and heli-coiled all 24 cam bolt holes. Took a long time but it was pretty easy drilling the holes nice and square with my Dad's mill. It has a small crank knob that lowers the head very slow and you can watch the depth gauge so you get the perfect depth on every hole.20170804_201500.jpg

Comment

You should also buy all new cam bolts. I have had used ones stretch and twist off even using a calibrated torque wrench.

Comment

Good idea I will do that.

Comment

Working...
          X