GS850L speedo swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L speedo swap question

Have a 1980 GS850L with a dead speedometer. Will a speedometer only swap from a GS650G of similiar age?

Look up the part number on your favorite supplier's site, then find the reverse part umber lookup to see what other models that part number was used on. Google the part number too, to find listings on eBay, etc. To widen your search to parts not limited to 85 mph, post the diameter of the speedo and ask if anyone has one that size that works. It wasn't just the L models that used speedo and tach in their own cup.

Of course, someone should ask how you're certain it's not the cable or the drive unit at the axle. The grease in those can get really stiff and shear off the lugs that engage the front wheel. A preventive rebuild would be a good idea, if that's not the present issue.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
    X