Tach noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach noise?

I'm not really sure what section to post this question in but here goes: 78 GS750 with factory gauge assembly. Something in the front end has started making a fast vibration sound, almost like a buzzing sound. It does this intermittently when at higher RPM's. It seems to get worse when under hard acceleration which leads me to believe it is the Tach. A while back I dripped some oil in the cable attachment point with the gauge flipped over and it seemed to quiet down for a little while. Recently the tach started reading way wrong and not really going over 4K I ordered a new cable and that fixed the functionality but it's still making noise. Does anyone know of a way to lubricate the tach or fix the issue? Any idea what else could make that noise?
    The current garage:
    1978 GS750
    1975 GT750M
    1984 CB700SC
    1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
    1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

There is someone who had the same problem as you here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=Tachometer
    There was a good tutorial of how to get into the gauges but the links are not working.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
      There is someone who had the same problem as you here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=Tachometer
      There was a good tutorial of how to get into the gauges but the links are not working.
      I should point out I have had the gauge apart once before. It's been a while but I believe I took it apart to attempt to fix this the first time around. There didn't seem to be any dirt in the gauge and everything moved freely. Maybe I'll pull it apart again. Is there anything I don't want to get oil on inside?
      The current garage:
      1978 GS750
      1975 GT750M
      1984 CB700SC
      1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by The1970's View Post
        I'm not really sure what section to post this question in but here goes: 78 GS750 with factory gauge assembly. Something in the front end has started making a fast vibration sound, almost like a buzzing sound. It does this intermittently when at higher RPM's. It seems to get worse when under hard acceleration which leads me to believe it is the Tach. A while back I dripped some oil in the cable attachment point with the gauge flipped over and it seemed to quiet down for a little while. Recently the tach started reading way wrong and not really going over 4K I ordered a new cable and that fixed the functionality but it's still making noise. Does anyone know of a way to lubricate the tach or fix the issue? Any idea what else could make that noise?
        First you need to find the source of the noise.
        May be the gauge, cable, speedo drive at the wheel, bearings.
        Disconnect the cable from the drive at the wheel.
        Spin the cable using a drill and see if the gauge starts to whine.

If not, re-connect the cable to drive and disconnect from the gauge
        and see if the sound is still there.
        Last edited by Rijko; 11-11-2017, 09:41 PM.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
          May be the gauge, cable, speedo drive at the wheel, bearings.
          Disconnect the cable from the drive at the wheel.
          Spin the cable using a drill and see if the gauge starts to whine.

If not, re-connect the cable to drive and disconnect from the gauge
          and see if the sound is still there.
          Your sequence is correct, but the tach doesn't drive from the wheel

Disconnect the cable from the tach, take it for a drive, see if the noise is gone
          Use a zip tie to hold the cable from slipping down
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

my bad, was trying to offer alternative sources for the sound and forgot about the main suspect
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
              So here's where i'm at: I disconnected the tach cable from the gauge and zip tied it, went for a ride and it was still making the noise. I pulled over, took the speedo cable off the gauge and it still made the noise. When it does it I can put my fingers on the glass of the gauges and it makes no difference. When I got back it was nice out and I decided to wash the bike. Afterwards I went for a short ride to dry off the rest of the bike and the noise seemed much worse. This may have just been a coincidence but figured I'd point it out. Any other ideas?
              The current garage:
              1978 GS750
              1975 GT750M
              1984 CB700SC
              1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Have you tried putting a jack under the front of the engine just to lift the front wheel off the ground so you can spin the wheel and replicate the noise? Check for dry wheel bearings, play in bearings, noise coming from speedo drive. disconnect and remove the inner cable from speedo just in case there is a problem with the outer sheath of the cable likewise with the tach cable.
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                  Have you tried putting a jack under the front of the engine just to lift the front wheel off the ground so you can spin the wheel and replicate the noise? Check for dry wheel bearings, play in bearings, noise coming from speedo drive. disconnect and remove the inner cable from speedo just in case there is a problem with the outer sheath of the cable likewise with the tach cable.

I just put a new tach cable on so it shouldn't be there and I also recently replaced the front wheel bearings. The noise started before me replacing them and continued after. I will have to check the speedo drive but I don't remember it making any noise when I spun the wheel after I did the bearings.
                  The current garage:
                  1978 GS750
                  1975 GT750M
                  1984 CB700SC
                  1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

I am now sure that the noise is coming from the tach. I can move the tach cable towards the headlight a little while riding and it goes away. One thing I'm not sure of is whether the dash assembly mounts on the top or bottom of the tabs on the tripple tree. The cables seem like they're being bent too much by the headlight bucket if I put it below, which is where I think its supposed to go. I also found a missing rubber grommet between the gauge mounting bracket and the tach. I though for sure that was the problem but I put in a few layers of an old tire tube and it stayed the same. Anything else to check? Otherwise I'm going to be pulling the gauge back apart and greasing the insides
                    The current garage:
                    1978 GS750
                    1975 GT750M
                    1984 CB700SC
                    1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Just wanted to post the solution I found to the issue here. I was frustrated for at least 2 weeks going back and forth between the tach, speedo and headlight to figure out where the noise was at. As it turns out it was the fuel door vibrating against the tank the whole time. To test it I just put some pieces of rubber inner tube underneath and it solved the problem. I am now ordering the proper grommets as mine are crushed and wore out.
                      The current garage:
                      1978 GS750
                      1975 GT750M
                      1984 CB700SC
                      1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

16 is the cushions that go on each side of the tank right under the front of the lid.

Shop online for OEM Fuel Tank (Gs750c parts that fit your 1978 Suzuki GS750EC, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                        X