oil pan oring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pan oring?

info?Hello guys this is my first post here.I am on the process to close my gs550 oil pan after full engine rebuild.Parts catalogue is showing an oring under the crankcase but when i was stripping the engine i didnt find any oring there.Any info?

99% of the time if the parts catalogue calls for a part there is a good reason. Study the design of the usage for the o-ring and that may help you understand.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

the o ring seals the routing of the oilsystem in mine
      damned important for oil pressure but you dont have a high pressure oiling system I think.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 1-800-253-7667

item 26?
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

That fiche is the crankcase, he mentioned "oil pan" in his post.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Theo,

Welcome to GSR.

I see a gasket/washer on drain plug.
            I see a gasket on the pan.

Only o-ring I see is one the filter cover (and often comes with the filter, Fram filters anyway.)

Attached Files
            Last edited by Redman; 11-15-2017, 08:39 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              That fiche is the crankcase, he mentioned "oil pan" in his post.

But, he said "under the crankcase", he did not say under his oil pan.

He said he rebuilt his engine and did not see it when he was stripping the engine. Suzuki bonds that o-ring in place with Suzuki-bond so it stays put during mating of the case halves.

Typically you have to scrape or prise the o-ring off during the cleaning process. If he did not do that, which you would if you were doing a proper rebuild, he may be in luck, maybe!
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                But, he said "under the crankcase", he did not say under his oil pan.

He said he rebuilt his engine and did not see it when he was stripping the engine. Suzuki bonds that o-ring in place with Suzuki-bond so it stays put during mating of the case halves.

Typically you have to scrape or prise the o-ring off during the cleaning process. If he did not do that, which you would if you were doing a proper rebuild, he may be in luck, maybe!
                I guess it's all in how you read it.

Originally posted by theo305 View Post
                I am on the process to close my gs550 oil pan after full engine rebuild.Parts catalogue is showing an oring under the crankcase but when i was stripping the engine i didnt find any oring there.
                The way I read it, he is "closing (installing?) the oil pan, the catalogue shows an o-ring under the crankcase." I take that as 'under the crankcase, but over the oil pan'. If it was part #26 on the crankcase fiche, as you suggested, that would be IN or INSIDE the crankcase, not 'under' it.

I gues we will just have to wait for him to come back and clarify for us.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Looking at the crankcase fiche they show 2 of the #26 O-rings.

Looking at the 550 FSM it does not show the o-ring under the oil pan. It does show a picture of the oil pan mounting surface and there appears to be a round boss next to the oil pick-up screen. I wonder is this what he is talking about? Is this where the lower #26 o-ring in the crankcase fiche is supposed to go?

Comment

THis all is a good example of how the microfiche is mostly intended to identify the part number of the part, assuming that already understand how-it-goes-together and what-is-what.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      THis all is a good example of how the microfiche is mostly intended to identify the part number of the part, assuming that already understand how-it-goes-together and what-is-what.

Yup, you are absolutely correct!

Comment

It has been three days, and we are still waiting for him to come back and see what we have been suggesting.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

First time poster, probably not hear from him again!

Comment

HelloI am sorry for late reply but last days i was working midnight hours.I am not talking about the oring between the crankcases.The part fiche bottom crankcase shows two orings no26.There is a hole next to oil screen that attaches on another hole in oil pan.Should i put an oring there?

Comment

Think I found it...

80 SUZUKI GS550 GS 550 SM205B. ENGINE TRANSMISSION CRANKCASE CASES. My Inventory Number: ( SM205B ). ORIGIN : 80 SUZUKI GS550 VIN#GS550-172082MAY FIT OTHER YEARS AND/OR MODELS. FOR SALE : CRANKCASE.

GS550 crankcase.jpg
                              Last edited by Nessism; 11-27-2017, 02:53 PM.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X