Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 valve cover bolt broken

Hi all,

after checking valve clearance and putting in new shims on my 1978 GS1000EC I put in a new OEM valve cover gasket and reassembled everything. When tightening the 16 valve cover bolts in - what I thought to be - the right order I must have mixed up something and put a 6x40 into a 6x35 hole (the one near the speedo cable). As they look pretty similar I overtightened and broke the bolt.
    I sprayed the remains with WD40 and will try to remove it tomorrow (should be possible with some pliers as there are a few mm standing out). The thread seems ok at the first glance, and I hope I can get a new bolt at my Suzuki dealer tomorrow.

So now here's my question: According to schematics there is 10x 6x35 (01550-06357) and 6x 01550-06407 (which I think is 6x40). Where do the six longer bolts go? It is not clear on the schematics, and while I found similar threads here in the forum, I did not find a clear answer to that question.

Thanks for helping
    Jürgen
    sigpic
    1978 GS1000 EC

What seemed to be enough to get the remains of the bolt out yesterday does not look very promising in daylight.
    WP_20171202_10_15_45_Pro-1024x1024.jpg

I cannot get straight to the hole with a drill since the frame is in the way. And it does not move with forceps. I also tried to cut a slit into it and tried the screwdriver, no success. Any hints what is the best way to get it out? I read here that EZ out is not recommended as one can easily make it worse. What is the preferred procedure?

Should I take the cylinder head off to work on it or can it be done without (obviously would like to avoid that )?

Thanks
    Jürgen
    sigpic
    1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

You need to find/borrow/etc. a small genuine vicegrip. The very hard jaws should bite (and hold) onto the broken screw remnant . Look for a vicegrip length about 6 inch or shorter.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

From looking at the picture that is possible to remove, if the vise grip doesn't work find a welder/machinist who can tig or mig weld a nut on and then it will undo as normal.

Removing the head is a very expensive and time consuming option as you will need new head and base gaskets.

As far as bolt lengths, I always drop all the bolts in and make sure there is a uniform amount of bolt sticking up on each one, usually about 15-18mm just over a 1/2" or there abouts.

On my GS1000ST there are only 2 longer 40mm bolts, outside at the front, but sounds like yours has more.

BTW I always lay all the screws or bolts out and sort them by size, mostly to see how many sizes there are and then I can see what I need as I drop them in.

The other option is map them out on cardboard as you take them out, but I never have the patience to do that.

Good luck

David.
        2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Generally - unless someone has helicoiled one - the four outers on each side are the short ones. Two on each leg of the cover, each side.

Kiwi canuck has the right way, TIG or MIG a nut on to the visible bit of bolt. The heat will help expand the alloy too.

Comment

Success!
            A colleague who has been an aircraft mechanic helped me get it out. His vicegrip did not work as there was just no good enough angle to grab the bolt.

My colleague said in aircraft maintenance it is standard procedure to use EZ outs, so I assumed he knows what he was doing. We filed down the remains to get a flat spot, then punched a little hole with a peening tool before drilling with a very flexible, thin drill.
            Then got to work with a small EZ out. It was quite a challenge because the bolt was not accessible in a straight angle, but with the flexible drill the hole was more or less centered. The thread got a tiny bit damaged but he had a thread cutter to renew it an get the last bits of the bolt out.
            WP_20171204_17_58_18_Pro.jpg

From working on aircraft he had a decent set of tools which definitely pays out on tasks like this.

At the moment I am pretty relieved that this issue is solved without causing too much headache. Sometimes it is just better to ask a professional

Time permitting I will assemble the valve cover this week and give the bike a spin to check if there are any leaks (pretty cold now for a test drive in Switzerland tho ), final check on the repaired petcock is also still outstanding.
            Next task is getting the carbs cleaned and changing springs/oil on the front fork.

Thanks for your help guys, this place is awesome!
            Jürgen
            sigpic
            1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

👍👍👍👍👍 Glad you got the bolt out! You must be living good. (Open doors for ladys, let others go first...) Hey, it all adds up. ☺
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Yes, I am a happy man at the moment
                sigpic
                1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

you are one lucky bugger. go buy a homeless person a meal or something.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks Rob
                    Well, using a torque wrench I thought nothing can go wrong. It's gonna click, right? Well, definitely learned something...

Just for the record, the four threads at the back (in driving direction) are open at the bottom, so there go the long screws I guess. The front ones are open as well, except the one where the speedo cable is (which I missed). The eight in the middle are all short ones. Makes 9 short and 7 longer ones.
                    So why does the parts list say 10 short and 6 long? Still confused.

Anyway, I put everything back together in the meantime, without the torque wrench. Sound is good. unfortunately that incident made me miss the last few days without snow, so now there's salt on the street and I can't go for a test ride...

I had the bike on the sidestand for some time (which I usually don't) and found oil on the sidestand. So there's another oil leak, at first glance it seems the oil pan gasket needs to be replaced.
                    sigpic
                    1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

Recheck your oil level before you replace the gasket. It could simply be overfilled. Also tighten all of the pan bolts. Not very common for those gaskets to leak but they do sometimes loosen over time.

Comment

Thanks John, the oil pan bolts were pretty tight when I checked. As the PO only did basic maintenance the last 20 years, I hope it is the gasket (and not some hairline crack in the pan or something worse).
                        It seems only to drip on the side stand, so it might be unnoticed for a long time.

I will check when I do the oil change in spring.

Jürgen
                        sigpic
                        1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

Check the shift shaft seal. More likely to leak from there and it's easy to change.

Comment

Hi John,

you were right, it leaks where the neutral switch sits.
                            WP_20180105_13_52_13_Pro.jpg
                            I checked the O-ring and it seems to be good. Re-tightened the screws, hopefully they just loosened...

Thanks, you saved me some extra work!
                            sigpic
                            1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

Just remembered, I cleaned that area a few months ago and was surprised how dirty it was...

WP_20171024_19_00_37_Pro.jpg

That leak explains it I guess...
                              sigpic
                              1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

Working...
                              X