Ugh, got a problem, engine is slight popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh, got a problem, engine is slight popping

Okay all you GS wizards out there, got a slight backfire or a miss from the engine, not consistent just now and then at idle an on the throttle some, not loud just a bit muffled. Okay from the start, I just got through adjusting the valves .004 on everything, had to replace a couple of the adjusters, the nuts were locked down. After I got done, went through and checked everything twice, clearances, tightness of the lock nuts etc. I also installed new plugs, NGKs D8EAs 1,2,3 but not 4, I went to a colder plug D9EA, the other plugs were burning perfect, #4 was a tad lean, so I'm trying the cooler plug to see if that helps. One other thing I did was change the gap on the plugs. I went from the .28 to a .35 since I am using the Accel super coils, I contacted them recently and asked them about the plug gap, they recommended going to .35. I've always been running the plugs at .28 and never a problem. Maybe?

I checked the CARBS they are fine, no air leaks and no exhaust leaks, all the pipes are hot. And yes the plug wires are in their respective order, first thing I checked. So either I missed a clearance on a valve or two, or the plug gap is the bug.

Thanks, let the fun begin!
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 02-21-2018, 11:37 AM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    Okay all you GS wizards out there, got a slight popping from the engine, not consistent just now and then at idle an on the throttle some, not loud just a bit muffled. Okay from the start, I just got through adjusting the valves .004 on everything, had to replace a couple of the adjusters, the nuts were locked down. After I got done, went through and checked everything twice, clearances, tightness of the lock nuts etc. I also installed new plugs, NGKs D8EAs 1,2,3 but not 4, I went to a colder plug D9EA, the other plugs were burning perfect, #4 was a tad lean, so I'm trying the cooler plug to see if that helps. One other thing I did was change the gap on the plugs. I went from the .28 to a .35 since I am using the Accel super coils, I contacted them recently and asked them about the plug gap, they recommended going to .35. I've always been running the plugs at .28 and never a problem. Maybe?

I checked the crabs they are fine
    , no air leaks and the exhaust, all the pipes are hot. And yes the plug wires are on their respective order, first thing I checked. So either I missed a clearance on a valve or two, or the plug gap is the bug.

Thanks, let the fun begin!
    Well I would try going back to what was working right in the first place, but you may want to try increasing the mixture screws per the highest idle method to make sure your at the best idle you can get, especially with #4 running a tad lean. No good then put the gaps back to .28. If that isn't the fix, stick one of the old plugs back into #4 and see if that's the fix. If you are still having an issue get some Old Bay seasoning and steam those crabs or get some ointment if you have the other type of crabs. Since you say the crabs are fine, I'm guessing the former, unless you like the later, then you may want to seek professional help.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
      Well I would try going back to what was working right in the first place, but you may want to try increasing the mixture screws per the highest idle method to make sure your at the best idle you can get, especially with #4 running a tad lean. No good then put the gaps back to .28. If that isn't the fix, stick one of the old plugs back into #4 and see if that's the fix. If you are still having an issue get some Old Bay seasoning and steam those crabs or get some ointment if you have the other type of crabs. Since you say the crabs are fine, I'm guessing the former, unless you like the later, then you may want to seek professional help.
      GSR is the professional help, no one around my area knows much of anything about my bike. Idle mixtures are at the best they can be. Gonna go back to the .28 gap, and put back in a D8EA in #4. Last resort is to go back and check the valves again.
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Popping? I'd suspect there's too much fuel somewhere too hot. In my experience, usually the exhausts...

How fine are your carbs? Maybe there's a blocked passage somewhere that results in uneven fuel delivery?

Or something is amiss eletrically, missing a spark here and there? Though I'd say that would result more than slight popping and noticeable power drops.

Edit: Or...maybe your coils are in the process of frying themselves? Heard that can result in pops as well (from the high voltage arcing over)
        Last edited by roeme; 02-19-2018, 12:39 PM.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
          Popping? I'd suspect there's too much fuel somewhere too hot. In my experience, usually the exhausts...

How fine are your carbs? Maybe there's a blocked passage somewhere that results in uneven fuel delivery?

Or something is amiss eletrically, missing a spark here and there? Though I'd say that would result more than slight popping and noticeable power drops.

Edit: Or...maybe your coils are in the process of frying themselves? Heard that can result in pops as well (from the high voltage arcing over)
          The popping is almost like a backfire but very soft. That keeps leading me to a valve setting I missed.
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Anyone else?
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              ooops just caught that hahahah, CARBS! Lol, sometimes I type too fast.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Well I haven't tried steaming carbs in Old Bay yet, but you never know.
                :cool:GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Checked for an exhaust leak?
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    Checked for an exhaust leak?
                    It's not an exhaust leak. Already said that. More of a slight back fire.
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Okay, might have used the wrong term, not a popping so much, more of a very slight backfire/missing? Still thinking it is the plugs or a valve setting. Soon as I can get back to it, gonna pull the plugs and regap them back to .28 see what that does, if nothing, back in to check all the valve settings.
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Found the problem, two bad new plugs. Dang ceramic insulators were jacked up. Apparently must have been a bad batch or something, they were loose inside and when you installed them, they would fall down and cover the electrodes, they wouldn't fire. First time for me to come across two bad NGKs like that. She is running nicely now.
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Good, glad you found the problem. It's always rewarding when you can track down a culprit causing your bike to not run right.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                            Found the problem, two bad new plugs. Dang ceramic insulators were jacked up. Apparently must have been a bad batch or something, they were loose inside and when you installed them, they would fall down and cover the electrodes, they wouldn't fire. First time for me to come across two bad NGKs like that. She is running nicely now.
                            Weird. Can you take a picture?
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                              Weird. Can you take a picture?
                              Been trying, it's so small having a hard getting it to focus any.DSCN0875.jpg Best I can get it. The insulator is up against the electrode. Just slides up and down.
                              Last edited by mrbill5491; 02-22-2018, 11:18 AM.
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                              X