Front Fork Seals GS650G 82 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Fork Seals GS650G 82 Project

So I am restoring a GS650G 82 from the frame up and having a lot of fun slowly seeing it come together. I want it to be as good a runner as I can make it without going broke. I was intending on replacing the fork seals and have read both the manual and Basscliff's instructions on doing the deed. So had them in the vice, drained the old oil and fired up the compressor to "pop" the old seals and they didn't budge, nor was there any apparent leaking of air etc. I am now
    thinking that I may not need to replace them. As beat up as the bike was when I got it there was no sign of leaking fork seals etc. I am now of the mind to simply put new fork oil in them and see how it goes. I am interested in opinions and techniques on my choices here.
    GS550T 1981
    GS850G 1983
    GS650G 1982
    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Sure, just put right amount of new oil in and see how it goes. Of course, seals might deteriorate after a bit of action, but who knows...fix later. My 81 shows no sign of needing new seals and I ride on pitifully maintained roads.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yup ... that's the plan now. I'll fill it with the correct amount (241 ml I think but will double check the manual) and see how it goes. I was surprised at the cost of the oil ... $22.00 Canadian for a litre ... but then again a $5 fancy coffee still baffles me.
      GS550T 1981
      GS850G 1983
      GS650G 1982
      GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Working...
      X