Tach Gear Fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Gear Fails

My tach gear tang just broke off on my ride home today. This is the second time this has happened now. I see that Suzuki has an updated part number for it. Is this breakage a common problem?

As a non-native speaker I'm not sure what part you're referring to. Care to enlighten me?
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

26431-47003. Its the drive gear that connects the cams and the tach, via the tach cable. The tang is the little bit that inserts in the cable-end so it can turn the cable. The last one broke and I put in a used one to replace it and changed the older tach cable for good measure. The part number listed above is for the "newer" part and I assume it was been improved or otherwise strengthened.

Comment

Seems odd...Is the tach drive in cam cover? Are you using the right thickness cover gasket?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Built into cam cover. OEM gasket. Just the tip breaks off. Granted, both of them were 40 yrs old its still steel.

Comment

In my experience, the only way this happens is if the cable isn't secure in the screw on attatchment. If it moves around it puts side loads on the drive tang.
            When everything is tightened down, you should not be able to wobble or rotate the cable outer in the attatchment.

I've not broken one myself - but I have struck aftermarket tacho cables that don't mount properly. And of course seen broken tangs on customer engines.

Comment

Working...
            X