Seat Pan Mounting Post Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Pan Mounting Post Repair

Although I'm going to look for a new seat pan, does anyone know if JB Weld will hold to put the mounting post back in place even as a temporary measure with that much visible rust?

550T Seatpan from rear by Scott Baker, on Flickr

550T seatpan by Scott Baker, on Flickr
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Can't remember how the seat fits but aren't those tabs part of the retention mechanism? If so the answer is no, you can not glue them. The bike won't be safe.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, they keep the seat from lifting up.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Yes, they keep the seat from lifting up.
        ...and, from sliding sideways. THat was the problem I had when that ripped out of the front of my GK seat.

I pondered making a plate to mount the mechanism to, then mount the plate with rivits or screws over a larger area/pattern, but with the various contours in the area, that exceeded my fabrication skills.

(took quite a while, but did find a replacement seat.)

Last edited by Redman; 05-19-2018, 10:10 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Remove the vinyl and foam, grind and sand the rust and paint down to bare metal, weld in a bit of sheet steel on the back as a reinforcement, then weld the mounting tab back on. This is a fairly straightforward repair if you can scare up a wire feed welder and some bare minimum of skill. Heck, it doesn't even need to be pretty.

However, the main issue is that you're likely to find a lot more rust -- the other side certainly isn't far behind. The seat pan itself may or may not be salvageable.

One of the tabs on the frame of my GS850 has been missing for years. The seat can't come off (in fact it's a right royal pain to get the thing off) so I haven't worried about it. In this case, I think the chunk that came out of the seat pan might be weight-bearing, so it's a little more imperative to fix, or at least improvise something so the seat doesn't contact the battery or anything critical... I've ridden a bike or two with bungees holding the seat on. With a little applied creativity you should be able to come up with something safe.

I've also seen some folks here salvage a badly corroded seat pan by essentially using it as a form or core to construct a fiberglass version.

Of course, showing up at Brown County on your Bandit wouldn't exactly be a terrible hardship...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks Brian, I’ll talk to my buddy to see if he thinks he can re-weld it after I return from Illinois

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Oh someone is looking over my shoulder today. I don’t need to be at the hospital for work until 1 today so I started checking out eBay for a seat. Found one at a salvage yard in Georgia for $175 plus 35 shipping. I just made him an offer for 140 so fingers are crossed. If not I’ll buy it at the $175 today anyway

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

They countered with $170 and I am not passing up the chance to get my GS back on the road so I accepted it. The seat cover has some tears on the sides but the pan is in perfect condition from the pictures so it’s on the way

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Real good, especially for a one year part.
                  I had to look for long long time, many months, a year, before I found a decent black one for a GK (which would be 2 year).

Good, help to keep the GSs from being a minor minority at the GS rally.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Excellent.

Sometimes it's well worth a few bucks to skip hours of farting around with something.

Shouldn't be too hard to transplant your seat foam and/or cover if it's in better shape.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

POR-15 paint is a good product to use on rusted seat pans. It protects the metal from further degradation from rust that is so common on those parts.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I use KBS Rust Seal. Either one is awesome for warding off the rot.

Comment

Working...
                        X