Speedo Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Cable

My speedo stopped working so I unscrewed it from my speedometer and could completely pull out the inner spring/cable portion. It looks like it was twisted off on the end so I ordered a new cable.

Can I just unscrew the old one and screw on the new one or do I need to lube it or anything?

79 GS550.

Thanks,
    Danny

Originally posted by danbobberino View Post
    My speedo stopped working so I unscrewed it from my speedometer and could completely pull out the inner spring/cable portion. It looks like it was twisted off on the end so I ordered a new cable.

Can I just unscrew the old one and screw on the new one or do I need to lube it or anything?

79 GS550.

Thanks,
    Danny
    Read manufacturer instructions as it depends on the cable; teflon lined ones usually don't want to be lubed (but in my experience it doesn't hurt). Other than that, it's plug&play.

Note however that the cables don't just break, usually they've been misrouted by some PO or under excessive tension by a misaligned cable holder at the axle. Use common sense when reinstalling.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by danbobberino View Post

79 GS550.

Thanks,
      Danny
      New cable should already be prelude. But you could pull out the inner spring/cable (as you called it) and apply some grease or spray in some lube if you wanted. On a new speedo cable you can pull it out from the wheel end only. (or at least on 1980 and after)

When you say "can I just unscrew the old one and screw on the new one", you dont mean just replace the "inner spring/cable" do you?
      No, because the other, broken off, end of the "inner spring/cable" is still in there. You need to replace the entire assembly. Unscrew it from back of speedo, and unscrew it from the the drive on the wheel. Install the new one on the wheel first, (pull the inner cable/spring out a bit so can turn it to fit into the drive), then install the end on the speedo (can spin the wheel some to spin the cable to get it to fit into place).
      Last edited by Redman; 05-28-2018, 08:10 AM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
      X