Brake Rotor Thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Rotor Thickness

Just got a shiny new rotor caliper & wanted to try it out. All rotors are getting near or in case of the rear actually just a bit under specs.

1. How far can I push my luck (realizing responses will vary & no one will be held liable) as to how much leeway I can push. Fronts are right about on the line Rear is about 1/2mm under. All rotors look good, minimal grooves, under 20k on all pads. I ride like aged geezer so am very light on the brakes and never have to "get on them" in emergency stoppage. Braking is quite good nonetheless and rarely need more than 2 fingers on the front lever to do anything I need. Any & all opinions welcomed.

2. Nonetheless been looking at cost of replacement. Shows up at $250+ for new OEM. Little choice if any for new aftermarket. Most seem to hit $150-$175 ea. Even a used one on ebay wants $175! Any secret sources you know of if I must R&R all three?

3. If I did R&R the rotors, could I take the pads down carefully with grit paper to re-establish an even surface since there is a lot of meat left there?

Thanks,

DH
    Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days. :dancing:

I don't see a problem with running them a little thin. Particularly since you don't push the bike repeatedly for all it's worth. Running on a race track where the rotors heat up super hot would be the main reason for concern.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What bike do you have? I recently learned that several Hondas use a rotor similar in size to the early single disc bikes. You would need a spacer, but the rotors are all over Ebay for decent prices.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by suzukizone View Post

3. If I did R&R the rotors, could I take the pads down carefully with grit paper to re-establish an even surface since there is a lot of meat left there?

Thanks,

DH
        I have done that in the past when my wallet was a little thinner. Put the sand paper on something very flat and then rub the pad with steady pressure in a figure 8 rotation. If the thickness of all the pads are near identical you will be OK. If one is much thinner than the others, has tapered wear (so its like a wedge) or has a really deep groove you will need new pads.
        Last edited by fbody_mike; 07-19-2018, 04:26 PM.
        1981 Suzuki GS250T
        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
        1985 Suzuki GS550E
        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Not to intrude here, but can anyone identify which suzuki bike these front rotors are off? Long story, bewildered CL seller,
          note the spoke pattern

image.jpg
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Not to intrude here, but can anyone identify which suzuki bike these front rotors are off? Long story, bewildered CL seller,
            note the spoke pattern

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55672[/ATTACH]
            Boy, that would be impressive if somebody could identify them. One front, one rear how bout an '82 GS750 T?

Nevermind, drum in back on the T.
            Last edited by Burque73; 07-19-2018, 05:30 PM.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

note the spoke pattern

Look kinda like my GS1100EZ brakes.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                What bike do you have? I recently learned that several Hondas use a rotor similar in size to the early single disc bikes. You would need a spacer, but the rotors are all over Ebay for decent prices.
                Sorry, getting old. Usually start all posts w/ ID of bike. Roadkill is a 1981 GS850G w/ anywhere between 77k and 177k (long story, just not really sure as strange evidence as to the truth)

DH
                Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days. :dancing:

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                  Look kinda like my GS1100EZ brakes.
                  they came mounted to a 19 inch wheel identical to my 1981 650L.....I was after the rim. Seller sorta thought they were off a 550 but no 550's came with twin discs,right? I suspect they are from a 1981 gs650E or G...in which case they also fit lots of other suzukis .
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

note the spoke pattern

My semi-educated guess is a GS550E, no doubt also on other bikes.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

they came mounted to a 19 inch wheel identical to my 1981 650L.....I was after the rim. Seller sorta thought they were off a 550 but no 550's came with twin discs,right? I suspect they are from a 1981 gs650E or G...in which case they also fit lots of other suzukis .
                      My 82 GS1100EZ had a 19" front rim too. According to this: https://www.partzilla.com/product/su...31ebff2796b271 those rotors were used on allot of suzukis from 80-83
                      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                      X