1977 GS750 Fork Tube Spacer beneath Fork Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 Fork Tube Spacer beneath Fork Seals

I am in the process of replacing the fork oil seals on my '77 GS750, and I accidentally nicked the inside rim of, and slightly bent the rubber coated washer/spacer that sits beneath the fork oil seal (FOS), while prying the FOS out (I thought the rubber spacer was just part of the FOS, but turns out the FOS sits on the rubber spacer).

My question is, can I just try to straighten out the rubber coated spacer as good as I can, then slap the new FOS in and reassemble? OR is it crucial the spacers are in perfect shape before reinstalling the FOS? - and if so, is there a part number for the spacer?

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg
    This might be a better photo

Comment

I'm working on the forks currently. Is it okay to use a steel washer with the same OD and ID measurements as the rubberized spacer? Thanks

Comment

Just an opinion from a guy who's never done this so take it for what it's worth (probably not much). I'm looking forward to (have to, don't want to) pulling the forks to redo seals this winter because one is leaking a little and AFAIK they've never been done. From all of my reading, this is not a place to cut corners and try to make due with stuff from the hardware store, or to try to reuse bits that are obviously not perfect. I'm thinking you're asking for trouble in a critical handling component of your bike.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

No opinion on the spacers condition but there is a part number: 51168-30B00.

I am working on my fork seals and they are a pain to get out. Thanks for the pic showing what's below. I'm gonna try the "drill a screw into the seal" method.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Where did you buy your fork seals from? If you got them from Z1 Enterprises (https://www.z1enterprises.com/fork-seals-35x48x11.html) than you won't need that spacer as it does replace them.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Good to know since I butchered a spacer removing the seal. I'm quite sure I didn't pry on it so my best guess is that it sticks to the seal and gets bent when prying the seal out.

My All Balls seals have the same dimensions as the Z1 seals.
              Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Where did you buy your fork seals from? If you got them from Z1 Enterprises (https://www.z1enterprises.com/fork-seals-35x48x11.html) than you won't need that spacer as it does replace them.
                I don't think this is accurate. The OEM seals have the same depth (11mm) as the Z1 and All Balls seals. So how can the aftermarket seals replace the spacer if they're the same size as stock?
                Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I'm still working on this and have not found a definitive solution.

Using this diagram...

#9 should be the rubber coated washer and #10 should be the metal washer. While their original part numbers are different, both have been superseded by 51168-30B00. Googling that part number shows a pic of the metal washer. My working theory is that Suzuki no longer produces the rubber coated washer and we should use 2 metal washers per fork. Without two washers, there will be space above or below the seal that would allow it to move the thickness of the missing washer.

I bought a pair of dual caliper forks and I still have my original forks. I'm going to try to get the rubber coated washers out of my original forks and use those. If I can't get them out cleanly, I'll use the metal washers from the original forks.
                  Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                  X