what is this for?? HELP PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is this for?? HELP PLEASE

Hello all, new to the forum, having just acquired an 81 GS1100 which Im getting into prime condition, then shipping to New Zealand as my main go-to rider, alongside my leaky 71 Triumph Bonneville show bike.
    Problem is I started to get into cleaning carbs and the area around the battery and a lone green wire with some sort of sensor attached magically appeared from somewhere, see photo.
    I checked the underside of the rear brake reservoir and the sensor is still in place, and I cant find out where this belongs....
    HELP PLEASE.
    Al in Edmonton Canada, eh
    Attached Files

Originally posted by abgill@telus.net View Post
    Hello all, new to the forum, having just acquired an 81 GS1100 which Im getting into prime condition, then shipping to New Zealand as my main go-to rider, alongside my leaky 71 Triumph Bonneville show bike.
    Problem is I started to get into cleaning carbs and the area around the battery and a lone green wire with some sort of sensor attached magically appeared from somewhere, see photo.
    I checked the underside of the rear brake reservoir and the sensor is still in place, and I cant find out where this belongs....
    HELP PLEASE.
    Al in Edmonton Canada, eh
    I suspect that is a battery acid level indicator like what is on the 1150, but I didn't know they came on the 1100s. Do you have an battery idiot light on your gauge cluster?
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Yes, battery level sensor. Not uncommon to find them hanging loose if a replacement battery hasn't got the hole for it.

What part of NZ are you coming to - and when ?

Comment

yep that be it, thanks so much.......

Comment

i have a business in NZ, importing classic bikes, trucks/cars and caravans [www.gearheadimports.co.nz] and also live in Canada, so I spend the Canadian summer buying up a bunch of stuff and ship it to Auckland where my daughter lives, then distribute it to dealers and private sales.....that way I miss most of the northern frozen winter......
          so mainly Nth Island, but I get to the South Island a couple of times a year.
          Al

Comment

Good to know there's someone shipping Canada-NZ regularly. The mail appears to all go into a container until that's full - then it's sent...Not exactly ideal.

Couple of years back we had a GS1000 top end sent by airmail parcel post. 14 weeks.....

Comment

Originally posted by abgill@telus.net View Post
              i have a business in NZ, .......... and also live in Canada, ................ ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
              Al
              Al, Welcome to GSR.

Would be good for you to add at least your 1100 full model info in your signature line. Then we would have known if you were talking about a 1100G or GL or E. (I think only the E would have such a battery level sensor).

Also Maybe have both the Canada and NZ locations listed.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
              X