Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First GS, 1979 GS750

Good Evening,
    I've been skulking around craigslist and facebook marketplace the last few months looking for a decent project bike to be able to fairly easily get running and have a fun bike for the summer then do a frame up freshen up next winter. I landed a 1979 GS750L for $400. The bike is complete minus the last couple inches of the frame where someone cut it off to likely put a hoop and some sort of custom seat. However, they never finished so I have the stock seat, the stock rear fender and a few inches chopped off the frame behind the seat. Other than that someone put some different bars on and thats it. The bike has 25kish on it. I have read through what newbie stickies I could find and did some searching but I still have some questions. First and foremost my intention is to see if the bike runs and runs well enough to ride as it sits without having to do a top end or anything as invasive as that. So I want to spend money on only what I have to, the first thing would be a new battery since the bike didnt have one. My question is can I run an AGM on the stock system or do I have to run a wet battery? Eventually I will upgrade the charging system and run something like the dyna kit for the ignition but for now I'd like to try to get her started and running before investing more. Now, if there are stickies that will answer all my questions please point me in the direction, I tried to get creative with my search key words but that doesnt always do the job. Happy to be here and learn, thank you.

Yes you can run an AGM battery - many of us like the Motobatt brand as they are a very good quality. Go here - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff for a lot of good information. There's also a thread titled Top Ten Newbie Mistakes you should read through
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

how long did the bike sit?

Comment

Originally posted by standswithabeer View Post
        how long did the bike sit?
        Unknown. The fella I bought it from bought 3 or 4 bikes from a guy as a package deal and this was one of them. He was restoring a few other bikes and still had an '80 GS750L and another bike to go so he wanted to get rid of one. It has been garage kept, nothing is sun baked or dried out. It did not come with a key, are these like most other bikes where the key # is on the tumbler somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Yes you can run an AGM battery - many of us like the Motobatt brand as they are a very good quality. Go here - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff for a lot of good information. There's also a thread titled Top Ten Newbie Mistakes you should read through
          Thank you, sir! That site is a wonderland of information!

Comment

Motobatt is pretty pricey but probably worth it for the long haul. For now there's no reason you can't run it off ANY 12v battery with a set of jumper cables until you figure out exactly what you have to work with.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by theneckasaurus View Post
              ............It did not come with a key, are these like most other bikes where the key # is on the tumbler somewhere?
              Welcome to TheGSR.

Yes, if is like the 80 & 82 Gs that I have experience with, is a 3 digit code that maybe can see stamped in real fine numbers on the face of the ignition switch. Or maybe that is all scratched up from the key, so maybe also look on the helmet lock. I think it is not on the outside of the gas cap.
              Local locksmith may not know what to do with that 3 digit code, but are some ebay sellers that offer the service.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I have a battery on the way. Here are some pics!

20190409_163343.jpg
                Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2019, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I have a battery on the way. Here are some pics!
                  20190409_163333.jpg

Comment

Oh my god no.......it’s an L....Welcome, welcome, welcome, you’r going to love your “L” they are well mannered rides and don’t let anyone give you any guff about the bars.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

already de-eled, so no problems there. Heck we'll even forgive the chop job.
                      Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                      Oh my god no.......it’s an L....Welcome, welcome, welcome, you’r going to love your “L” they are well mannered rides and don’t let anyone give you any guff about the bars.

V
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post

V
                        Thanks! Yep, the ol L. I've done nothing to the bike, its just the way I bought it!

Comment

LOL! Like I said, havent done anything to the bike, previous guy did everything.

Comment

Ok gentlemen, I've been thinking of what direction I'd like to go with the bike. I want to go the direction of a non "L", I'd like to use a factory seat and rear "fairing" I guess it could be called. This is my inspiration, https://blog.goo.ne.jp/gpcraft/e/d39...122c5a1ff08088. I love the way the lines of the tank flow into the seat and into the rear fender/fairing. My questions are: 1.) Are the frames, tanks, etc the same between all the variants of GS750s? 2.) Are the front forks the same? It seems my L has a longer front fork, can I lower these/slide the triple tree down a smidge? 3.) Where would be my best bet to find a seat and rear fender/fairing? I've been swamped at work so I haven't touched the bike, but this week I will be able to see if she will start and run and then go from there.

Comment

Dug in a little today, I don't have the key however the previous owner made a little harness to effectively hotwire the bike. Plugs look brand spanking new! She turns over very nice but has no spark in spite of the new plugs (possible troubleshooting attempt by the last guy). I'll check the points tomorrow, maybe clean the and see what happens, after that I assume the condenser would be the next culprit as the wiring and most other stuff looks to be in good shape, though never disqualified from being the cause.

Comment

Working...
                              X