No announcement yet.

First GS, 1979 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well good news, good spark, just wasnt seeing it in the lighted garage. She purred over for a couple seconds on starting fluid. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Comment

A seat with tail fairing like one you linked are pretty easy to get on eBay and you might want to check Dime City Cycle, they are typically universal and may require some work to get it solidly mounted.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
        A seat with tail fairing like one you linked are pretty easy to get on eBay and you might want to check Dime City Cycle, they are typically universal and may require some work to get it solidly mounted.
        I'll definitely have to figure out what to do with the frame thats been chopped, maybe I'll run down to the local bike graveyard to take a look at how the factory frame terminates in the rear. Also, will any of the late 70's gs750 fairings work? As in are they all part of the same generation? Thanks, LAB3.

Comment

The pic you posted looks like a GS750 (non L). I don't know if a non L tank and seat will fit on an L model. If they do physically fit, I don't know if they will look the same as the non L model you posted.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
            The pic you posted looks like a GS750 (non L). I don't know if a non L tank and seat will fit on an L model. If they do physically fit, I don't know if they will look the same as the non L model you posted.
            It is a 1979L. It has the L pipes, the L clocks, the L bodywork, and the leading axel forks. I have the exact model and color in my stable. Dar

Comment

Correct, hm, thats a bummer. I'm not much for the laid back style. Gonna have to figure some things out.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                It is a 1979L. It has the L pipes, the L clocks, the L bodywork, and the leading axel forks. I have the exact model and color in my stable. Dar
                My comment referred to making his L look like the non L he posted later. I don't think swapping a non L tank and seat onto an L model will make his L model look like a non L model.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Don't take this wrong - just my musings about old UJMs -'

Often times I see posts here and other forums indicating someone wants to buy a bike and use it to run around on.
                  The idea is a cheap bike can be purchased and ridden and then sold or upgraded as the owner wishes
                  Rarely works out that way

Carls' Rules of New-to-you motorcycles -

1) Previous owners Lie
                  2) No such thing as a cheap motorcycle

In order to keep your skin safe I suggest the following
                  (This is how I approach any bike I am flipping or keeping)

Get it running -
                  Get it stopping -
                  Make it comfortable/pretty

The idea is to make sure it runs well enough to continue putting money into it. (starts, reliable, performs as designed)
                  Then once it is going ya gotta be able to STOP - (tires, brakes, suspension all need to work properly)
                  Once you have a running, stopping working order bike you can start throwing money at creature comforts and gaudy baubles

This is a picture of mine when I first bought it -- now I have nearly $2500 in her (maybe more?)
                  1983 GS850GL - But I could get on it right now and ride it across the country (I am pretty sure)

Best wishes on your endeavors
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Wingsconsin; 05-03-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Add current picture

More recent picture - But not actually current (the side bags are different now)
                    Attached Files

Comment

I absolutely agree, my plan is to ride it for the summer until it cools down again before starting any type of cosmetic modifications.

Comment

Ok, bike was put on back burner as I work 6 days a week through the summer and it's been hot. Been working on it the past week, got a new ignition since it was cheaper than getting a key made locally. Everything seems to function as it should, gas tank had some rust here and there so its sitting with a couple gallons of vinegar in it. Ill probably let it eat until thursday and drain it, get everything back on and see if she will start. I have a few questions, perhaps shame on me, but I bought this bike without a title. I ran the vin and it is not in the DMV's database, so I dont have to worry about backfees. However, I am wondering what would be easier and/or more cost effective in regards to getting it legal. 1.) Go through steps with the CHP (If anyone has pointers on this process please let me know.) or 2.) Doing the vermont reg and then just registering it in california using the vermont title. I'm not a sketchy guy, I follow to law (mostly) so I don't want to be riding something that was stolen. Disclaimer: I wont know 100% if it was stolen at some point until CHP look at it but I bought it from an older gentleman who restores bikes and had all kinds of cool stuff in his garage. 10/10 doesnt seem like a thief but who knows. Any input it appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Couple a pics from today.
                          Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

The gas tank has been sitting in vinegar for a couple days and is doing a good job!

Comment

Carbs are pulled and soaking, hit the top housing with a polishing wheel and got some good results.
                            [https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...AbBeI_RxAYgQMi]
                            [https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...bobO5lxdEBFkSG]
                            [https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...7zkhEQq_V-NnIJ]
                            [https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...WYcsOSciAsCfW3]

Comment

Where can I get the gaskets for the carbs? All the hard parts look good but the gaskets are real hard and I destroyed the bowl gaskets gettin them off.

Comment

Z1Enterprises is an excellent source for GS bits.
                                Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Your gas tank can flash rust VERY quickly after you flush out the vinegar.
                                A heat gun to dry it and a rinse with a denatured alcohol can get most of the moisture out.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X