Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 gs550e - headlight replacement (UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pity that most cars no longer use 7" H4 reflectors, because you could easily go down to your nearest car breakers and find a decent one and try it for fit.
    Annoyingly, even though they are the same nominal size, many motorcycle 7" reflectors don't have the same retaining clips inside the shell (and even if they do, they're not in the same position) as the car ones - Honda are particularly guilty of this.
    All is not lost if you can molish something - hell, even a gob of silicone or urethane foam holds it in place, for after all the reflector isn't coming back out, just the bulb.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

7" refers to the lense !!!!!!
      let's just be clear......

yep I am sure something can be cobbled together
      but I will keep on with these guys as the lenses....
      looks ideal and for less that 15-20£ ! new.

I will update when I find the perfect replacement for all !
      UKJULES
      ---------------------------------
      Owner of following bikes:
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
        7" refers to the lense !!!!!!
        let's just be clear......

yep I am sure something can be cobbled together
        but I will keep on with these guys as the lenses....
        looks ideal and for less that 15-20£ ! new.

I will update when I find the perfect replacement for all !
        But it won't be. It will be crap.
        Why not fit the best light you can?
        ---- Dave

Comment

I look for soming cost effective!
          I can't see how it can be crap ? visually
          it is exactly what I need.

the best light I can get is from cmsl.
          too expensive for I .....

The light I have now is crap but I happily
          went round Europe with it...

I just want to know where k can get a replacement
          which looks exactly the same and uses
          stock easy to get bulbs.

so its cmsl or possibly my new place .
          Will inform

do note my sealed one does work !
          But it's crap ! stupid design ..
          Last edited by ukjules; 05-18-2019, 03:39 PM.
          UKJULES
          1980 Suzuki GS550ET
          1977 Yamaha RD 250D
          1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
          1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

It's almost a given that standard lighting was crap on the bikes we know. Not just because of the often laughably low-powered bulb (or sealed beam) but bad lens and reflector design. Why replace crap with more crap?

If it were me, I'd look at a Hella H4 7" reflector/lens (all one unit) and see if it will hook into the standard Suzuki 7" shell. You never know your luck.
            If you can't get Hella (cheaply available for excellent design) or Cibie (the best but can be expensive as a lot of classic nuts drool for them) for your shell, then Lucas are quite good (and better than standard), and there's a seller on ebay who was punting out some Indian-made headlights a year or two back, which were direct copies of Cibies, iirc. They were quite highly rated by those who tried them - something like Light Pal. I'm having a look to see if I can find them.
            If they're as good as they reckon, it was a very economical route to go down.
            Luckily for me, I found other sources. I got a pair of brand-new-in-box Hella H4 lighting units and fitted them to a set of spotlight shells. They complement the Cibie headlight on the fairing quite nicely - the Cibie light was a total windfall. If I'd gone looking for one I'd not have paid what is being asked for them nowadays.

Another source of really good H4 7" units is the Mitsubishi Pajero of the late '80s/ early 90s. It was fitted with Koito units which were computer designed and as good as Cibies for a fraction of the price. They're totally under the radar of the classic guys, so go for next to nothing. I snapped up a pair of them a few years ago and fitted one to the Vetter with an LED bulb. Holy bejasus, it was the best bike light up to that point I've ever used.
            Last edited by Grimly; 05-18-2019, 04:30 PM.
            ---- Dave

Comment

Lucas...
              Electrical wiring products, parts and accessories for vintage and classic cars

Wipac... these were very, very good back in the day.

Cheap and cheerful Durite - workmanlike lamps that are ok. Not great, but good enough for general use.
              Interparts Auto Solutions, UK’s Premier DURITE auto-electrical distributor providing products such as switches, cables, relays, fuses and fuse boxes.

Just found the Indian maker is Autopal. You can buy them singly on ebay or buy a pair here...
              we supply lucas electrical spare parts and accessories for your classic and modern vehicles Bulbs Switchgear Wiper Blades Wiring Products and Consumables Starter Motors Solenoids and Alternators
              ---- Dave

Comment

Wow what an answer....
                I think you have answered all my and anyone
                else questions on headlights forever!

I will take your advice. I can't see how any of
                the ones on your links can't be made to fit as you say.

Many thanks for this.
                This should be added in some way as a help
                item for headlights !!!

thanks, Jules.
                UKJULES
                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Nice to see these recommendations:
                  Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                  If it were me, I'd look at a Hella H4 7" reflector/lens (all one unit) and see if it will hook into the standard Suzuki 7" shell. You never know your luck.
                  If you can't get Hella (cheaply available for excellent design) or Cibie (the best but can be expensive as a lot of classic nuts drool for them) for your shell, then Lucas are quite good (and better than standard), and there's a seller on ebay who was punting out some Indian-made headlights a year or two back, which were direct copies of Cibies, iirc. They were quite highly rated by those who tried them - something like Light Pal. I'm having a look to see if I can find them.
                  Way back in 1977/78, I had a KZ650 and installed a Cibie light. WONDERFUL improvement. When I traded the bike for a KZ1300 (rectangular light), I put the original light back in and got a matching Cibie to install in my Corolla. I can verify that the Cibie is about as it gets in a 7" H4 light.

In a previous 850 that I had, I installed one of the AutoPal lights. Very decent pattern on the road at a very decent price.

When I put the fairing on my current 850, I installed a Hella rectangular light. Also very good, but it pales in comparison to the TruckLite LED light that is in there now.

As for "best motorcycle light", my 2000 Goldwing is definitely in the running. Speaking with other Goldwingers who have had both, they prefer the lights on their 2001-and-newer bikes to my 2000, but I have not ridden one of those bikes to see the difference.

Jules, it's too bad you want to keep it "affordable". How much do ride at night? You might want to reconsider "affordable" and upgrade to something that is more practical. I don't know if the TruckLite is available in a British pattern, but they are about $150. Once you ride with one at night, you will wonder how you ever managed without one.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not a great deal('re using bike in dark) even on my EU tour.
                    BUT
                    As the thread is the one stop headlight shop.....

What light , 7" , fits GS , and obviously looks exactly
                    the same (not some ghastly modification) is
                    available in the upper price range? giving superb
                    brightness ?

Cibie
                    Online shop and mail order for classic car, vintage, kit car race car and motorsport parts and accessories quality service trading for 40 years.

Trucklite

I'll try and find links to these and any others people add to thread
                    Last edited by ukjules; 05-20-2019, 09:54 AM.
                    UKJULES
                    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Jules, I have 2 gs bikes with Wipac crystal headlamps. Look for Land Rover upgrade headlamps, with quality bulbs they give a good beam pattern.
                      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Only just bought a new headlight.
                        Took you guys advice and used "grimly's" url and bought from them - Wipac Quadoptic light with sidelight.

Tesyed this eve and I can see !!! even with low beam. With high beam - superb !
                        This with a 55/60w halogen bulb too. I also have a 100/80 bulb but no real need for it !

Thanks for advice - much appreciated - it was spot on ! it simply makes the bike totally usable at night.
                        I advise anyone to get one of these ! comes with all fittings.
                        UKJULES
                        1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                        1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                        1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                        1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Pictures of the light output?
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Damn should have took some pics.
                            Will post when out in the dark again.

But this light will allow me to do some
                            long journeys with no concern of the night.
                            and in Europe.
                            The original is hopeless. This is better than my
                            Cbr900r (when I had one of those sad bikes years ago)
                            UKJULES
                            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
                              Only just bought a new headlight.
                              Took you guys advice and used "grimly's" url and bought from them - Wipac Quadoptic light with sidelight.

Tesyed this eve and I can see !!! even with low beam. With high beam - superb !
                              This with a 55/60w halogen bulb too. I also have a 100/80 bulb but no real need for it !

Thanks for advice - much appreciated - it was spot on ! it simply makes the bike totally usable at night.
                              I advise anyone to get one of these ! comes with all fittings.
                              Glad to see you sorted.
                              I'd advise against using the 100/80 as it puts a lot of extra load on the switchgear and really eats into the paltry reserve of the alternator output, leaving you with nothing much. I seriously recommend a decent H4 LED bulb with the smallest filament sections you can get, to preserve the output pattern of the light shell and avoid dazzling anyone. Also means you will have about twice the light output you have now (even with the improved lamp unit) and for half the current draw.

<edit>
                              Like these ones. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232046628787
                              The LEDs aren't quite as small as I'd like to see, but they're not bad and produce a fairly decently controlled output and beam pattern with a good lamp unit.
                              The copper braid cooling is a bonus, as you can easily squeeze them into the limited space behind that you have to share with the bundle of bike wiring in the shell.
                              Last edited by Grimly; 08-17-2019, 10:35 PM.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

I will look into that.I can see LED's are the way to go.
                                Found one like you suggest for 27£ with the copper
                                band cooling (same brand).

But even now I refuse to be put off knowing
                                I could squeeze more focused light .....
                                as the difference from.original to what I have now
                                with halogen 55/60w is probably enough for me.
                                I can see now.

But i agree when it blows LED it is and no higher than 70ish on the watts.

I no longer fear the night
                                UKJULES
                                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Working...
                                X