No announcement yet.

Front brake master cyclinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check again. I clearly see the remains of the rubber boot in the picture.

Not a rubber ring, a large boot and in the picture most or all is still in there.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Check 00:45

Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
        Check 00:45

I already removed that. Tapping a screwdriver on the bottom of the piston hole makes a metallic sound.
        1980 GS550E

Comment

OK good. Like Steve said, there probably is a washer corroded to the cylinder wall.
          Can you now see that washer ?
          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

Comment

The washer has been removed as well.
            The circlip, washer, and rubber boot ring are all out. It's just the piston in there now. There's just a metal ring, with a depression within that, and the piston in the center.
            1980 GS550E

Comment

That's it, I'm drilling the darn thing out. If it breaks, oh well. The plunger is wedged again, so I have to remove the whole plunger assembly by force. I'm trying to drill through the metal ring that's in there, but it's thicker than a washer.
              As I stated, if you look at the plunger, it appears to be surrounded by another metal ring that appears fused to the plunger hole walls, yet no amount of banging on it with a screwdriver and hammer will remove it. In the video, the plunger seemed to knock against that. It's an Aisin master cylinder with a number 14 on the bottom. Did this model of master cylinder have a fused plunger assembly, like it was stuck fast to the body? It seems like they're one whole unit, not meant to be separated.

I'd like to keep the original look, but if I can't remove this plunger, I'll have to go aftermarket, which includes finding a way to make the taillight work again (I'll need someone to explain that to me).

EDIT: After pounding on it with a bigger hammer and screwdriver, the plunger assembly seems to have recessed further into the body. It shows it can move, but it went in the wrong direction.
              Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 01-24-2020, 03:27 AM.
              1980 GS550E

Comment

Wow!

You're still at it?

I forgot to mention...I let the MC unit sit in a tank of clear solvent for 2-3 days which probably loosened the plunger from the sidewalls.

You can see a pic in my thread of the basket I used to dip into the solvent tank.

Continued patience and perseverance.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Yeah. What was the fluid you used? I've got some Liquid Wrench and WD-40.
                  1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
                    Yeah. What was the fluid you used? I've got some Liquid Wrench and WD-40.
                    I was on an Air Force installation...Holloman AFB, Alamogordo NM. I was able to use this huge tank where aircraft parts are soaked/cleaned. Looks like water but it's not good to stick your hands in there without rubber gloves.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Yeah, I think it's utterly borked. The piston assembly isn't coming out, so I may just have to replace it.
                      1980 GS550E

Comment

Thank for posting that video

Comment

Working...
                        X